I want to save sent mail on the server -THUNDERBIRD

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

I want to save sent mail on the server -THUNDERBIRD

Postby thunderbirdruss » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 2:05 pm

Thunderbird

I have figured out how to save INBOX email on the server. Can anybody tell me how to save items that I originate and send from Thunderbird on the server. I use comcast. net. Thunderbird sends and recieves fine.

I would like to keep sent items on the server so I can access them from different locations.

Thanks
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Russ
thunderbirdruss

Postby PaulD » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 4:13 pm

I don't see how one can save on the server an email that is sent locally.

The emails that are saved on Comcast have been handled by the email account server there. Thunderbird then sucks them out of the (Comcast) Inbox and (since you have so set it up) does not delete them from the host queue. Outgoing emails, to be saved there directly, would have to be sent from the Comcast (web-interface-based) email account. Note that for TB mail you have designated two different servers - incoming and outgoing.

But ... what would work, although awkwardly, would be to always send (bcc:) to yourself a copy of each outgoing email.
- - - - -
To set this up in TB:
Tools > Options > Account Settings > [account name] > Copies & Folders > (check) Bcc these email addresses:
- - - - -
Then, sign on to your Comcast account and move this (now incoming) email to the Sent folder (or to some other desired folder). In TB, these incoming 'bcc:' emails would have to be ignored/deleted. You might be able to set up a TB filter that would handle this deletion automatically.

The filter might look for this field / contents: From / [your 'From' line]
Additional logic may be required. And, consider those situations where you do need to retain an email that you've copied yourself on.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070508 Firefox/1.5.0.12
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Thanks for the solution to use bcc.

Postby thunderbirdruss » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks for the solution to use bcc.

I use email, but I seldom work with the connection configurations. I assumed that when I sent email from thunderbird, that the email somehow went through Comcast and that Comcast could “catch/copy interceptâ€
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Russ
thunderbirdruss

Postby Fulvio » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:57 pm

It is very simple, and have done it for years, going back to Netscape. In TB: Tools|Account settings|Server settings|make sure that Leave messages on server is checked. I think that default is 14 days. More than that may be at the discretion of the ISP.
I learned when I had opened some e-mail at work, but was nowhere to be seen at home.
However, after making changes as I mentioned above, I was able to open email at home, although it had been opened, previously, at work.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007111508 SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF31, TB31, IE8.0 Google Chrome 36 , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby PaulD » Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:25 am

Fulvio - Are you saying that TB Outgoing mail also can be saved in his Comcast account? He already has the Incoming mail adjusted.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070508 Firefox/1.5.0.12
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Fri 16 Nov, 2007 5:24 am

thunderbirdruss,

If you want to save sent message on servers, you will need to connect to the server in [tt]IMAP[/tt] mode. (besides using the web-interface for emailing.)

In plain words, IMAP is a kind of "sync", each time you connect to it, you will be synced with the mail server first. Therefore, all your emails (inbox, and sent) will be downloaded (and uploaded) to all your computers (assuming you set up all your computers correctly).

As a result of this, the performance is usually slower than POP3, and requires more server resource. Not all ISPs provide [tt]IMAP[/tt] for your emails. Most ISPs provide [tt]POP[/tt] (or [tt]POP3[/tt]) instead.

.Mac mail is IMAP based. Rumour says Gmail is starting to provide IMAP for connection.

Hope this helps.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9) Gecko/20071025 Firefox/2.0.0.9
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape