Installing Plug-Ins (MIME types)

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Postby sdchessie » Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:31 pm

Many apologies if this is as stupid a question as I think it is...I just know I'm missing something somewhere!

When you install a plug-in (Acrobat Reader, RealPlayer, etc.), once you've installed the plug-in app itself, then what? When I go under Preferences and Helper Apps and do a New Type, it's pretty obvious what to fill in, except for the MIME type blank.

Is there a list somewhere of MIME types that would be acceptable here? I can make a guess like "application/RealPlayer" but Netscape doesn't like my guesses. How do I know the right thing to put for a given plug-in? The RealPlayer site, for instance, doesn't give me a clue.

Clueless Chessie
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
sdchessie

Postby Alice » Thu 15 Apr, 2004 9:54 am

Chessie, first you should not be posting your e-mail address for all to see. There is an e-mail button that appears in your posted message as well as a PM button for private messages through the board that members can use. If you post your real e-mail address in the message itself then spammers can harvest it. I think it would be best if you edit your post and remove the email address.

In general, applications like Acrobat Reader or RealPlayer can be used two different ways within Netscape:
1. As a Helper Application if there is no plugin for the mimetype. A Helper application opens in it's own program window. It is just opening a new program window ON TOP of Netscape.

2. As a Plugin, if you have one enabled for a particular mimetype. A Plugin will allow the content to be displayed WITHIN a Netscape browser window.

Simply installing Real Player will install the plugin in Netscape. Same thing with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

To see what plugins are already installed go to http://wp.netscape.com/plugins/manager.html where you can also get more information on mimetypes supported.

You can also click on Help About Plugins in a Netscape browser window. to see a list of your enabled plugins.

Manually adding entries in Edit | Preferences | Navigator | Helper Applications is a way to set up custom applications to open instead of the default application for the particular filetype. You really do not need to create yourt own Helper Application entries since Netscape will create the helper entry itself when you open a file within Netscape which doesn't have a plugin, and you tell Netscape to use the default application and to always perform that action so that doesn't always ask you for a particular filetype.

Here is a page with more detail about Netscape Plugins and Helper applications if you want to look it over.
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/ ... o-plugins/

Post back if you still have questions.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
Last edited by Alice on Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Postby sdchessie » Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:10 am

Thanks for cutting through some of the fog. Those links were very helpful.

(Too late to edit my previous post - SillyDog won't let me. Oh well.)

Chessie

Alice wrote:Chessie, first you should not be posting your e-mail address for all to see. There is an e-mail button that appears in your posted message as well as a PM button for private messages through the board that members can use. If you post your real e-mail address in the message itself then spammers can harvest it. I think it would be best if you edit your post and remove the email address.

In general, applications be used two different ways within Netscape:
1. As a Helper Application if there is no plugin for the mimetype. A Helper application opens in it's own program window. It is just opening a new program window ON TOP of Netscape.

2. As a Plugin, if you have one enabled for a particular mimetype. A Plugin will allow the content to be displayed WITHIN a Netscape browser window.

To see what plugins are already installed, either go to http://wp.netscape.com/plugins/manager.html
OR
click on Help About Plugins in a Netscape browser window.

Simply installing Real Player will install the plugin in Netscape. Same thing with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Terll us what the Plugin page tells you. For example, I see the following in about:plugins:
For Real Player:
RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
File name: nppl3260.dll
RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealPlayer(tm) as Plug-in rpm Yes

Also:
RealOne Player Version Plugin
File name: nprpjplug.dll

application/vnd.rn-realplayer-javascript RealOne Player Javascript Plugin .rpj Yes

For Adobe Reader:
Adobe Acrobat
File name: nppdf32.dll
Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 5.00 for Netscape

application/pdf Acrobat pdf Yes

Adding entries in the Helper Applications will do you not a bit of good since plugins will always override Helper applications. You really do not need to create yourt own Helper Application entries since Netscape will create the helper entry itself when you open a file within Netscape which doesn't have a plugin, and you tell Netscape to use the default application and to always perform that action so that doesn't always ask you for a particular filetype.

Here is a page with more detail about Netscape Plugins and Helper applications if you want to look it over.
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/ ... o-plugins/
:idea: :idea:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
sdchessie

Postby Alice » Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:23 am

Chessie,

I'll see if I can get a Moderator to edit out your e-mail address, if that's still possible.

You're welcome for the links. I edited my post as you were answering, so you might want to re-read it because I changed some information
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape