Recovering Netscape 7.1 Email

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Recovering Netscape 7.1 Email

Postby thebird » Sat 31 Jul, 2004 7:38 pm

I know there has been information posted on this, but I have tried several solutions and gotten nowhere. The instructions seem to be for a different version of Netscape than the one I have: Netscape 7.1.

Can I create a new profile in Netscape 7.1 and link my old email to it, so that I can access it?

please let me know how.

thanks very much,
bird
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
thebird

Postby Don_HH2K » Sat 31 Jul, 2004 7:45 pm

What you can do is create a new profile, then move your old e-mail to your new one. Go to [tt]c:\Documents and Settings\<Windows profile name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<old Netscape profile name>\<random>.slt[/tt] and copy the Mail directory to [tt]c:\Documents and Settings\<Windows profile name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<new Netscape profile name>\<random>.slt[/tt]. Now re-open Netscape and see if your new e-mail is there.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Recovering Netscape 7.1 email

Postby thebird » Sun 01 Aug, 2004 10:36 pm

Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't do anything. I can then open the new profile (into the *.slt file of which I copied the old Mail folder) and there is nothing in there at all.

I recovered this once before, but can't seem to find the right instructions to do it again.
thebird

Postby Don_HH2K » Mon 02 Aug, 2004 5:05 am

I have an idea that might work in your case, but I need to know first: how much e-mail (size in MB) do you have? You can find out by right-clicking the Mail directory and selecting Properties. There will be a size option that will give you the size in MBs.
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Re: Recovering Netscape 7.1 email

Postby Fulvio » Mon 02 Aug, 2004 10:23 am

thebird wrote:Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't do anything. I can then open the new profile (into the *.slt file of which I copied the old Mail folder) and there is nothing in there at all.

I recovered this once before, but can't seem to find the right instructions to do it again.

Copying the .slt will work, but not without struggles. You don't copy the .slt folder, but, rather its contents. But, most likely you will have the save problems. I will not go into it.
The way it always worked for me is to create a new profile, which will have all the basic Netscape functions. Then, you can close Netscape, and do whatever manipulations are needed. You can just right click|copy on the ol bookmarks.html shortcut, and then , right click|paste in an empty area of the .slt folder. Now to the mail part. You will see a Mail folder in the old profile .slt. Open that, and then your account folder.
You should do two things. First, delete the Inbox.msf file, not the Inbox file. Now, try again to go back to Netscape, and your mail. The .msf file is the header file, which you normally see, and deleting it, may fix some problem there. And, it may not. As dluchini30 implied if you have an oversized Inbox, you may have problems.
So, going back to the new profile idea, you can make a copy of the old Inbox, and rename the copy (this is for safety and very practical, because if you copy an Inbox file, and paste where there is an existing file of that name, it will overwrite that), and copy the renamed old inbox, and paste it into the new profile account folder. When you open Netscape, using the new profile, you should have a small new Inbox, containing only recent mail, and a large Oldinbox. No more new mail will go into the Old Inbox, but it should work.
In the meantime, with the old profile, open the address book, and Tool|Export the address books as .ldif files. You can easily import them into the new profile.
I have done all this stuff many times, and I have nine mail accounts. It takes more time to explain than to do this. You may have something fouled up in your prefs.js file, and short of having an oversized mail folder or an incompatible Theme, the creation of new profile should do the job.
Just be patient.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.1) Gecko/20040707
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.31, FF34.0.5., TB31.3, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2015 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 39
Fulvio

Postby Ramona » Mon 02 Aug, 2004 7:53 pm

You can share one Mail Folder between two Profiles:

Open Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings | Server Settings
In the "Local directory" field, change the path to that of the original Profile's Mail Account(s).

Do the same for the Newsgroups in the "Local directory" field, AND the newsrc field.

Ramona
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.1) Gecko/20040707
Ramona

Postby Alice » Tue 03 Aug, 2004 1:46 pm

If it makes it easier, copy the old profile's MAIL folder to a new, easy-to-find location (like D:\Netscape). Then you can change the Local Directory field in the new profile's mail account, server settings to the NEW location of the MAIL SUB-folder containing the old mail files..... for example from
C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\"newprofile"\xxxxxxxx.slt\Mail\pop.My.ISP.net
to:
D:\Netscape\Mail\pop.My.ISP.net

See http://ilias.ca/Sharingprofileinfo.html for more help on sharing profile data.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape