Problem after moving Netscape 7.2 email files

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Postby RickintheSouth » Tue 05 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm

After I have have copied and moved email files and Netscape rebuilds the index it only finds a few messages. To simplify things I moved just the sent folder. It is a big folder with 200 kb size and lots of messages. I even tried it on another pc and got only the same 3 files. It takes a long time for the rebuild but always ends up with these same 3 files.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
RickintheSouth

Postby RickintheSouth » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:37 am

Following up with more info. I did everything as in the attached link posted for someone else with the same problem. However, I only moved the .slt file not the whole profile file. My old PC is no longer available. Then what I did was move the inbox, sent, etc files directly into the new .slt file on the new pc. That forced a rebuild when I started Netscape Mail but it only found 3 files in the inbox after a long rebuild time. Best I can tell from the info in this board I shouldn't have to change the prefjs file. Any ideas? Thanks.

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns7pctopc.html

Rick
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
RickintheSouth

Re: Problem after moving Netscape 7.2 email files

Postby Antony » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:55 am

RickintheSouth wrote:After I have have copied and moved email files and Netscape rebuilds the index it only finds a few messages.[/ To simplify things I moved just the sent folder. It is a big folder with 200 kb size and lots of messages. I even tried it on another pc and got only the same 3 files. It takes a long time for the rebuild but always ends up with these same 3 files.
Hello RickintheSouth,
Can you tell us the filename you moved?

And when you rebuild Netscape, how did you rebuild it?
And did you copy back the email file you moved away?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

More info on moving Netscape mail files

Postby RickintheSouth » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 9:13 am

Antony, I added a posting that further explained what I did. The rebuild was done by starting Netscape Mail and clicking on the inbox or sent file. I think Netscape rebuilds when the index file is missing or bad.
RickintheSouth

Postby RickintheSouth » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 9:16 am

Antony, I forgot to respond to your last point. No I didn't move back the email file I moved away. I copied my backup inbox and sent file on top of the ones in the new PC in the new .slt folder.
RickintheSouth

Postby Antony » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 9:27 am

Hello Rick,

Did you have [tt]prefs.js[/tt] backed up?
I assume you have your mail backed up somewhere.

* Quit Netscape (completely, including quicklaunch)
* Open Windows Explorer, from Tools menu, select Folder Options, then View tab, then under "Hidden files and folders" select "Show hidden files and folders".

* Copy your backed up mail to the new default location for Mail
([tt]C:\Documents and Settings\WinXP_profile_name\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\NS_profile_name\salted_name.slt\mail\(your.mail.server)[/tt])

Then, try to re-launch Netscape.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby RickintheSouth » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 9:46 am

Hello Antony, I do have pref.js file backed up the user name has changed so that is why I created a new profile on the new PC and moved just the inbox and sent files to the new profile.

I have done exactly as you suggested. When I restart Netscape I think I have the files in the right place because Netscape has to rebuild the inbox and sent files when I click on them. It is just that it does not rebuild the index right. As I said it only finds 3 files out of 100's. Always the same 3 files.

I have tested this on a 3rd PC. I created a new test profile. I then copied the inbox file and pasted on top of the new test inbox file and this works great. When I restart Netscape Mail and click on the inbox it rebuilds it and all the same inbox messages are there. However when I do the same steps with my backed up inbox and sent files I only get the 3 messages.

I don't think I have a bad backup because I downloaded and tried Mailbag Assistant to see if that would help. I got to the point where I could read all the backed up messages but I couldn't figure out how to use the program to get the messages back into my new PC. So the backup files seems to be ok.

Sorry for being do long winded...
RickintheSouth

Re: More info on moving Netscape mail files

Postby Antony » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 10:38 am

Hello again,

It's good that the 3rd PC works.

RickintheSouth wrote:I have done exactly as you suggested. When I restart Netscape I think I have the files in the right place because Netscape has to rebuild the inbox and sent files when I click on them. It is just that it does not rebuild the index right. As I said it only finds 3 files out of 100's. Always the same 3 files.
Now, back to the one you have trouble.
In this PC, open Netscape Profile Manager, delete the profile (and all it's files).
Then create a new profile, and copy back all the mail files to the new corresponding location as I suggested in my previous post.

If you still have trouble with this one, you might want to take a look at Retrieving Lost Mail and Newsgroup settings or [sdt=5504]Lost Mail & NG Account Settings •• Profile[/sdt].

If all failed, I will tell you the hard way (editing [tt]prefs.js[/tt]). However, it's very late here (Sydney) right now, so I might not reply immediately.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 12:09 pm

I may have missed this, but was there any attempt to compact the file?
I don't consider 200kb to be large, I have one file with pictures which is larger than that. I have seen Files of that size drop to 4-5 Kb after compacting., which is supposed to "release" deleted messages from the mail files.
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.29, FF32.0.2, TB32, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 37
Fulvio

Postby RickintheSouth » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 4:00 pm

My bad. The backed up sent file is 200 mb. I don't know if it was compressed before it was backed up by someone else.

Let me be clear about the steps taken.
1. Another person backed up the .slt folder on PC1 which is no longer available
2. I have created a new profile on PC2 and copied the backed up sent file (200mb) on top of the new empty sent file.
3. I started Netscape 7.2 and clicked on the sent file. Netscape then rebuilds the index which takes a long time but ends up with only 3 messages
4. I then compacted the sent file which took a long time but still ended up with the same 3 files (the size dropped from 200 mb to 800 kb)
5. To test my actions, I copied another sent file from PC2 on top of the new recreated empty sent file and got all the messages exactly as in the original
6. I downloaded a trial MailBag Assistant program and accessed the backed up sent file. It found all messages so the backed up file must be OK.
RickintheSouth

Postby Fulvio » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 4:32 pm

It seems that you are ok. But either one or someone else never compacted the file. This should be done, or else, you get into situations like you just did..
And, it would take a lot of time to create a header file for such large file, as well as compacting the files. Ideally, files from another computer or even same computer should be renamed prior to the pasteing into the new folder. In such conditions it would not overwrite any existing file. To verify the size of the remaining messages, you can click on the icon on the upper right of the header list, and select size. This way you will know what you have.
There is nothing wrong with large files, but they should be kept as archives. I also, out of habit, I compact my folder every time that I delete anything.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050319
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.29, FF32.0.2, TB32, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 37
Fulvio

Postby RickintheSouth » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 5:06 pm

I am not out of the woods yet. I tried the idea a changing the name before copying the sent file into the profile but the results were exactly the same. It is probably being caused by not compacting the file before it was backed up and there is nothing I can do about that now. If I use the Mailbag Assistant program I have to buy it and I think it will export .eml files. What do I do with them? Can I get them into Netscape Mail?
RickintheSouth

Postby Antony » Wed 06 Apr, 2005 11:46 pm

Hello Rick,

Did my previous suggestion work for you?

RickintheSouth wrote:My bad. The backed up sent file is 200 mb. I don't know if it was compressed before it was backed up by someone else.

Let me be clear about the steps taken.
1. Another person backed up the .slt folder on PC1 which is no longer available
How did that person back up your entire [tt]********.slt[/tt] folder? Everything thing included and in the same structure?

If that is the case, simply create a new Netscpae profile.
Exit Netscape.
Copy all your backed file back to the new profile location. Check that the file copied back to HDD are writable.
Use a plain text editor to open [tt]prefs.js[/tt], use Search and Replace feature, replace all [tt]********.slt[/tt] with the new [tt]********.slt[/tt].

re-launch Netscape with the new profile.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050331 Camino/0.8.3
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby RickintheSouth » Thu 07 Apr, 2005 8:22 am

Antony, thanks for your followup. I think I have tried what you suggested but I will do it again this afternoon when I can get at the new PC in another location. What I have been testing with is a copy of the sent file which is 200+ mb from the backed up .slt folder (I couldn't fit the whole .slt folder on one CD). What I have tested is creating a new profile on my PC then copying the backup sent file on top of the empty sent file in the new profile. Doing it that way I thought I didn't need to change the pref.js file.

ps It is 9:20am here. What time is it there in Sydney?
RickintheSouth

Postby RickintheSouth » Thu 07 Apr, 2005 9:24 am

I am going to try what you suggested this afternoon but I don't think it will work. I think there is something wrong with my backup file. I just did another test.

In my good .slt folder I have a Mail folder. In my Mail folder I have 2 server folders - pop.plantationcable.net and test.test.com. When I copy the backed up sent file into test.test.com, Netscape only comes up with 3 messages after rebuilding. When I copy the sent file from the pop.plantationcable.net folder into the test.test.com folder, Netscape comes up with a duplicate of all the sent messages from the pop.plantationcable.net folder as I would expect.

I didn't change the prefs.js file. Doesn't this prove I don't need to if I just move the inbox, sent, etc. files into an existing .slt /mail folder?

The thing that puzzles me is the Mailbag Assistant program doesn't have any trouble reading the backed up sent file. Do you know of any other programs that will read it and allow me to import the messages back into Netscape? Mailbag Assistant only seems to save eml files.[/img]
RickintheSouth

Next

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape