Removing Netscape Completely

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Removing Netscape Completely

Postby James » Wed 18 Dec, 2002 9:58 pm

If I wish to completely remove Netscape from my system, how would I go about doing this? Look... I've tried so hard to like Netscape. Most of you know me now... I'm not trying to be a troll here. I just can't seem to warm up to it. I think that a person has to be far more knowledgeable regarding computers and software in general to make good use of Netscape. Internet Explorer just works... yes... I know it is virus prone and I know the pitfalls.... but it works and that is the bottom line for me. I love Incredimail and Netscape doesn't. Whenever I go to Incredimail's gallery I get bounced all over the friggin' map trying to get this plug-in and that. And even after getting the plug-ins, things still do not work properly.

So..... back to my original question: If I decide to completely remove Netscape from my computer, how do I go about doing this? Thanks for all your support.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:45 pm

Just go via the usual Add/Remove programs route you'd normally
use for uninstalling any other third party application from Windows.

Although, I wouldn't recommend uninstalling Netscape from your
computer, especially if IE is the only other browser on you system.

It's always worthwile having a secondary browser installed just in
case the other goes belly up. Especially if the one that goes belly
up, is the irrevocably in-built browser with all the security holes!

If you find that Incredimail isn't working with Netscape, or vice versa,
it wouldn't do any harm to contact the vendors of Incredimail to see
if they support Netscape 6.x-7.x and/or other Mozilla based browsers.

If it does come to the point, where you decide to uninstall Netscape,
don't delete the setup file, as you may wish to re-install the app at a
later date, perhaps when Incredimail is updated with a new version,
that works well with Netscape 6.x-7.x + other Mozilla based browsers.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-DJGM-i.net)
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Mandrake » Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:49 pm

Sums it up well. Deleting the profile folder is fine if you do not want to use any other Gecko based browser, but if you intend on using Mozilla or similar - then keep the profile folder.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130
Last edited by Mandrake on Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandrake

Re: Removing Netscape Completely

Postby Fulvio » Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:50 pm

James wrote:If I wish to completely remove Netscape from my system, how would I go about doing this? Look... I've tried so hard to like Netscape. Most of you know me now... I'm not trying to be a troll here. I just can't seem to warm up to it. I think that a person has to be far more knowledgeable regarding computers and software in general to make good use of Netscape. Internet Explorer just works... yes... I know it is virus prone and I know the pitfalls.... but it works and that is the bottom line for me. I love Incredimail and Netscape doesn't. Whenever I go to Incredimail's gallery I get bounced all over the friggin' map trying to get this plug-in and that. And even after getting the plug-ins, things still do not work properly.

So..... back to my original question: If I decide to completely remove Netscape from my computer, how do I go about doing this? Thanks for all your support.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I feel about the same as I do about IE, but I cannot remove it , without using violence. But, even if I could, I would still keep it, just in case. In the case of Netscape. I would make sure that you did not make it your default browser, and uncheck everything from Advanced/System. Then resort to Add/Remove. After that you can manually delete whatever is left from the folder into which it was installed. And, I am not sure if this should be done before removing the program, i.e. removing the Profile. I prefer to use the profile manager, and delete the Profile from, and delete all files, just in case some file may want to be rebuilt. That should wiped out Netscape. Just in case, I have a Registry cleaner to complete the job.
And, please keep up with the Security fixes.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF30, TB24.6, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby Mandrake » Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:56 pm

And, please keep up with the Security fixes.

Microsoft has been keeping up with them quite well. I think they are down to 19 or so lol :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130
Mandrake

Postby captjlddavis » Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:57 pm

:lol:

Quick question re:

Add/Remove via control panel and the NSUninstal.exe from Uninstall Directory ?

Do they both use the same install log ?

Do they both leave the Profiles data alone.?

Any pitfalls/traps using one or the other ?

Thanks in advance ?

regards:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (Compact)
captjlddavis
gold member
gold member

Postby James » Thu 19 Dec, 2002 12:49 am

Thanks, everyone.

Fulvio: what registry cleaner do you use? How do you know the items it finds are safe for removal?

I understand the emotion that some feel in regards to Netscape versus Internet Explorer, but as I've said continually for a year now... to me they are simply programs... files, as it were. They are not a way of life and if one is easier to use than another, then that is probably best for me, given my lack of interest in playing around with the settings... adding this and taking away that. I find that Netscape 7 is still a bit rough around the edges. I never had these problems with Communicator 4.5. Of course that was then and this is now. Communicator is yesterday's news and I'm well aware that it is too long in the tooth to do the job on today's internet.

Anyway.... I intend to keep up my membership here since I still enjoy reading about Netscape. Not sure just yet "whether" I'll take the plunge and purge myself of Netscape, but I wanted to know the best way to go about it if I decided it was best. Thanks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-SillyDog)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:42 am

captjlddavis wrote::lol:

Quick question re:

Add/Remove via control panel and the NSUninstal.exe from Uninstall Directory ?
Do they both use the same install log ?
Do they both leave the Profiles data alone.?
Any pitfalls/traps using one or the other ?
Thanks in advance ?
regards:

As far as I know the Add/Remove way is nothing but a shortcut to the Uninstal.exe file. But, I never paid any attention to it, since I always use the Add/Remove. The Profiles are independent of the program. A good thing with 4.x when you could use the same profile with new upgrade, but a major pain with 6/7 which are so different from each other that recycling profiles without major changes can cause problem.
By the way, I know of only one program which did a better job in removing itself with the Uninstall file. That was Zone Alarm, which I do not trust with either.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF30, TB24.6, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby Fulvio » Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:54 am

James wrote:Thanks, everyone.

Fulvio: what registry cleaner do you use? How do you know the items it finds are safe for removal?

I understand the emotion that some feel in regards to Netscape versus Internet Explorer, but as I've said continually for a year now... to me they are simply programs... files, as it were. They are not a way of life and if one is easier to use than another, then that is probably best for me, given my lack of interest in playing around with the settings... adding this and taking away that. I find that Netscape 7 is still a bit rough around the edges. I never had these problems with Communicator 4.5. Of course that was then and this is now. Communicator is yesterday's news and I'm well aware that it is too long in the tooth to do the job on today's internet.

Anyway.... I intend to keep up my membership here since I still enjoy reading about Netscape. Not sure just yet "whether" I'll take the plunge and purge myself of Netscape, but I wanted to know the best way to go about it if I decided it was best. Thanks.

I, mostly, agree with you. And, sooner or later there will be a free standing Mail program, so the Netscape bashing will be directed to the right part of it.
As for the Registry cleaner, I have been using the feature in McAfee Nuts and Bolts 2000. I have not like their "new and improved", so I have been sticking to the original program. The way it works depends on me following very reasonable directions. I do not have to, but it backs up the Registry, and then it goes through the so called orphan file. And, next it may repair but shunting several entries to another, similar program. At the end, it leaves with the decision of deleting one by one , what is left. The decision is usually easy, because it tells you where it is pointing, so it is easy to tell if it points to a removed Netscape, or whatever. In other words, such thing is no longer around. Good luck!
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby captjlddavis » Thu 19 Dec, 2002 1:29 pm

Fulvio,

Thanks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (Compact)
captjlddavis
gold member
gold member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape