Semantics, semantics...Beware!

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Semantics, semantics...Beware!

Postby Fulvio » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, it seems that we are caught in a game of semantics. What is a new version?
I, always, consider that a new version is a final version, and the a and bs are preliminary and possibly unstable/ troublesome/whatever. It seems that for the Mozilla types, a new version is, anything, with a higher number, be it alpha(probably) or beta(definitely. I had gravitated toward Seamonkey, because, I thought that it was staying with the old ways, but I was mistaken.
Last night, Seamonkey gave me a noticed that there was a new version, SM 2.3, and, instantly closed the attempt to download. This morning, Seamonkey started with the tell-tale bar indicating that an update was being installed. Everything appeared to be in order, all addons seemed compatible until, I tried to delete one e-mail message. Instead of disappearing, it opened a page which showed multiple copies of the toolbar icons, and no text.
I closed that mess, and tried to open a message, and it looked like that delete attempt. This went on with several accounts. I closed Seamonkey, and deleted the .msf files, to no avail. This alleged SM2.3 was a mess, and the UA showed it was based on rv.6.0. However it was still a b1.
I checked my Preferences, and saw that Advanced|Software Installations was set to download and install the update. I don't want surprises, but I missed that setting. This is doubly galling. To get an update, and not knowing that it was going to be installed, but also a beta, which was a mess!
To make a long story short, I download v.2.2, and installed it, on top of this pseudo 2.3, and all is well.
And, yes, I did uncheck the automatic installation. So, beware!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110706 Firefox/5.0 SeaMonkey/2.2
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.29, FF32.0.2, TB32, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 37
Fulvio

Re: Semantics, semantics...Beware!

Postby Antony » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 2:53 am

Apart from certain scary tactics used by some pushy people (to make end-users feel their computers aren't safe just because they are slightly behind the latest), most people will be fine without rushing to the latest version of the software, as long as they are careful with their browsing behaviours.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.19) Gecko/20110707 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.13 Firefox/3.6.19
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Semantics, semantics...Beware!

Postby Fulvio » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't believe that the new approach has much to do with Security, which used to be a major reason for updates. I tried my luck with the alleged 2.3, and found it to be a b2 (not from Mozilla, or the program itself). That's what I am bothered about the new approach. They are pushing versions which are, still, at the beta stage.
By the way, here are the release notes for SM2.3 b2. I, surely, do not see a compelling reason for updating, but you are going to have an update, if you are not careful.
This new installation worked fine, when I did a Custom install, and used another profile. May be there was some addon incompatibility., but it surely, did not tell me.
Actually, when I went to the Themes/Appearance, I noticed that the "default" theme was disabled. I reenabled it, and on restarting, SM 2.3 crashed, immediately, showing only the crash reporter. When, I click to restart, it opened with the 2.2 Theme (which had given me problems, before). The profile which I use for 2.3, does not have that Theme. After I clicked, again on the 2.3 icon, 2.3 came up without that Theme, and everything was cool.
So, the disabled "default" theme must be the one which gave me problem.
Still, beware of any suggestion from Seamonkey to update.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110731 Firefox/6.0 SeaMonkey/2.3
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.29, FF32.0.2, TB32, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 37
Fulvio

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape