Sharing a Printer on Wireless Network

This section is for any issues on setting up or configuring networks at home and small business.

Sharing a Printer on Wireless Network

Postby DiscoFever » Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:10 pm

What is the best way to share a printer between two computers. I have the Printer installed on one computer. They are in the same room . The router is a LYNKSYS (2.4 GHZ with speed booster) . The two computers in this room are wired into this router. The Laptop runs Wireless on this same router. ( all computers are windows XP SP2)

Is it possible to share the printers if the two computers are not running wireless? if so Please Help.

Thanks'
UserAgent: Opera/9.02 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
DiscoFever

Postby Don_HH2K » Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:27 pm

Most wireless routers automatically bridge both the wireless and wired networks into one. All you need to do is set up the printer wherever it's connected as a shared printer. Open up Printers and Faxes, right-click on it, select Sharing, and then click the box for "Share this printer". Then on the other machines, just choose to add a networked printer through the "Add a printer" wizard. You'll be given a list of printers on the network (in your case there should only be one anyway), select that one and the rest is the same as if you were installing a locally-attached printer.

Alternatively you could buy a print server: that way, you wouldn't need to always keep the computer hosting the printer turned on.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2 x64; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061030 BonEcho/2.0 (mmoy CE K8N-X02)
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Postby DiscoFever » Sun 26 Nov, 2006 2:06 pm

You are now Oficially my Hero. You did it again. You saved me. Good thing i wrote into the forum, i wasted half the day trying to get this problem solved. Everything you suggested worked out smoothly. GOD BLESS YOU!!, thank's for the help. :D
UserAgent: Opera/9.02 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
DiscoFever

Return to Home and Business Networking