Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Postby Antony » Wed 05 Oct, 2011 8:13 pm

A very sad news to report, Apple co-founder and long time Apple CEO, has passed away earlier today after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.

Apple stated:
We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.
Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that
enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.
His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.

Steve Jobs was 56. Steve Jobs will be remembered.
apple.com/stevejobs
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Steve Jobs dies at age 56

Postby James » Wed 05 Oct, 2011 8:50 pm

A very sad day for all of us. Jobs changed the way we all use technology even as we click on our mouse. Indeed... he will remain a legendary figure.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 12:49 am

When Steve jobs resigned as Apple CEO in late August, the Apple shares went down, but (to Don's dismay) rebounded to record highs in weeks later. However, Steve Jobs was still around then. Apple stock finished today at $378.24 (USD).

This time, the main brain Steve Jobs is no longer there. My prediction on Apple share, it will fall.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 8:20 am

US President Barack Obama's statement on the passing of Steve Jobs:
Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet’s most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates expressed condolences:
"I'm truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs' death,” Mr Gates said. “Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.
"Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.
"The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.”

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's statement:
I want to express my deepest condolences at the passing of Steve Jobs, one of the founders of our industry and a true visionary. My heart goes out to his family, everyone at Apple and everyone who has been touched by his work.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 5:30 pm

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak reflects on his relationship with Steve Jobs in an interview with The Associated Press:

:youtube: http://youtu.be/dK_XEGrzHUo
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 5:59 pm

A truly sad loss to the tech industry. There'll probably never be another tech company CEO quite as
charismatic as Steve Jobs was. The Keynotes at annual Apple events will never be the same again.
I'm sure all our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues at this time.

He'd been very ill for quite some time since his original battle against cancer, and he'll have known
for a while he didn't much time left on this Earth, so I'm sure he has had everything well planned
for at least the foreseeable future of his company. I'm certain all Apple fans are still likely to be
as fervent as always even though Steve Jobs is sadly no longer around.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110902 Firefox/6.0.2 SeaMonkey/2.3.3
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sun 09 Oct, 2011 11:24 pm

As a way to show respect to Jobs' sudden death, Google and Samsung delay the Android update.

Google and Samsung have delayed the launch of their new mobile phone operating system out of respect for the late Steve Jobs.
“Steve Jobs introduced numerous revolutionary changes to the information technology industry and was a great entrepreneur,” Samsung CEO Choi Gee-sung said.
“His innovative spirit and remarkable accomplishments will forever be remembered by people around the world.
“Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product.

“We would ask for the understanding of our clients and media for any inconvenience caused. We will announce a new date and venue in due course.”

source: Too soon? Google and Samsung delay Android update out of respect for Steve Jobs
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Mon 10 Oct, 2011 4:46 am

Despite all the stupid needless legal wrangling between Apple and Samsung over tablet patents, that was a
good gesture from Samsung and Google to hold off the new Android release, in respect for Steve Jobs.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110902 Firefox/6.0.2 SeaMonkey/2.3.3
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sun 16 Oct, 2011 12:47 am

Pixar has a special start page as tribute to Steve Jobs.
http://www.pixar.com/

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.23
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:15 pm

Apple posted the video of the special event - Celebrating Steve.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.23
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Postby Antony » Fri 05 Oct, 2012 7:10 pm

It has been a year since the world heard the sad news.

The day before, Apple just announced the iPhone 4S, and in my head, I was still deciding which model to get. When I first heard of the sad news, I was waiting for the next flight in Queensland (on the way to Horn Island and Thursday Island).
Well, I got my iPhone 4S the next day after I returned to Sydney. Since then, a 3rd generation iPad, and recently the new iPhone 5. That was all what I bought in the past year.

Apple.com currently has a special tribute video to late Steve Jobs.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.17
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Mac OS and Apple