Temp(?) files/folders and uninstall

Microsoft Windows operating system, and software for Windows platform, including QuickTime Player and iTunes for Windows. We also discuss topics about Microsoft Corp.

Temp(?) files/folders and uninstall

Postby Fulvio » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 4:11 pm

Two things bug me, because they make little or no sense.
1.The so-called Temp files/folders in Local Settings which cannot be removed. I understand, a bit, Temp files which, for some reason, are in use (why are they called Temp?), but I cannot understand Temp folders (usually), which cannot be deleted. Why are they there, in first place? They seem to be renewed every day, and are full of subfolders. I have two which contain a total of about 15 MB, but they keep recurring. So, they must be created by some other program. One folder contains a file created by ActiveState, which
supports cross-platform development tools for dynamic languages such as Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and Tcl, as well as language distributions and enterprise services
2. Programs which have been uninstalled long ago, but left something behind. One of them is Dawn, not the liquid detergent, but a program related to mail, which I removed, at least eight years ago. I am told that some nondescript .msi cannot be removed, so Cccleaner cannot delete the item. There is nothing left on my hard drive. I must be some errant registry key. Otherwise, I am told to insert the CD containing the program. I had the same problem with Apple Mobile Device Support (I had two different sized items with the same name). Finally, after a few years, I was able to uninstall such thing. I guess it was placed by iTunes, but an update did not remove the older item.
3. My favorite occurs when I want to delete some item in the above mentioned Temp folder. Even if a single file in that folder cannot be deleted, nothing be be deleted.

I am pretty sure that most people have never tried to do what I have tried to do, but if there is any idea, I will be at peace. I have dealt with this as long as I have had a PC.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.31, FF34.0.5., TB31.3, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2015 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 39
Fulvio

Re: Temp(?) files/folders and uninstall

Postby James » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 5:09 pm

Let me just address the number two item: Dawn. Here is their website:

http://email.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ ... ware/Dawn/

Have you considered re-installing the program and then removing it with Revo, found here:

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstall ... 87648.html

When you uninstall with Revo, it initially uses the program's uninstaller. Then it goes a step further by examining the files left behind by the uninstaller. It goes into the registry hunting down those files. It then reveals them and all you need to do is select them and click on Delete. Now when it sometimes shows a file tree, you may have to click on each folder revealed, opening the tree until you find the file that is in "bold". Anything that is marked in "bold" should be deleted. That should take care of any errant files.

Just my two cents mind you.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 3:09 pm

It was, precisely, what I needed. I had forgotten the name of the uninstall utility, Revo, but I may want to reinstall Dawn, first.
Thanks.

Oops! I got a Security Alert, when I clicked on the first link.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20120129 Firefox/10.0 SeaMonkey/2.7
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.31, FF34.0.5., TB31.3, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2015 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 39
Fulvio

Postby James » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 3:25 pm

Not sure about the security link but it's safe.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 9:07 pm

About the Security Alert, it is because the link is not in not in email.about.com. About.com tells me that it is a possible spoof, and that the link is at another website.
But, I did not need to reinstall Dawn. Revo is awesome. I had to go the long (advanced) way, because I was sure that there were some obscure Registry Keys remaining. I have never seen anything like that. Eleven keys were remaining. Nothing else was there.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20120129 Firefox/10.0 SeaMonkey/2.7
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby James » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:00 pm

Good to hear, Fulvio. Those errant dll's that are left behind can be a royal pain.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Windows (and Microsoft talk)