Test your browser

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Re: Test your browser

Postby James » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 2:05 pm

As you can see, I'm using SM today. Why? Not sure... probably for nostalgia's sake being a Netscape fan from way back. Honestly, I have no real concerns about privacy with Google et al. I think we blow this privacy issue way, way out of proportion to any real and perceived threat. The same goes for cookies, specifically tracking cookies. As an example, when I go to Amazon, it has obviously recorded my past searches and provides me with a list of suggestions and in truth... I welcome them. It saves me a lot of legwork and I understand that Amazon is in the business of selling to me and others. No problem there. The only possible issue I might have is the slowing down of my surfing due to the drag these cookies bring to my system. So... one of my malware programs provides some relief in that regard.

I suppose we all have to come to some sort of peace with these issues: privacy, cookies, tracking, advertising and so forth. And I'm not suggesting my way is the best way over another person's. If Iron is working for you and bringing you some semblance of peace while you're online... then Iron is the browser for you. I truly believe that Chrome will become the dominant browser over the next two to three years. It's fast, it's lean, it's customizable and it is reasonably secure. Suites (like Opera and SM) are a throwback to an earlier time and I believe we'll see them eventually fade from popular usage. Just look at the stats on these suites... they're both practically invisible. Firefox/Thunderbird, IE9 (soon 10)/Windows Live Mail, Chrome/whatever are the combos of 2012 and beyond. Just my two cents worth.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby ncd » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:07 am

James,

I like SeaMonkey and the old Netscape Communicator too, but I use Firefox most of the time and K-Meleon when I need a macro language that does what I need when I need it (as in write a quickie macro on the spot). That browser may go bye bye unless C++ programmers show up (same with Camino).

As for comparing Amazon to Google, the difference is Amazon is a shopping site and so I give up privacy for convenience in my shopping. I do not wish to give up the same for all my browsing because Google makes the No. 1 browser and uses it to its advantage, not mine. Which is why IRON is good as it is the same browser, minus the privacy concerns.

As for cookies, web nits (little gif trackers), flash LSOs, etc., Firefox has Better Privacy and Ghostery which are staples for me in that browser and any number of cookie managers that do what is needed to remove all but essential cookies.

I totally agree with you that Chrome will become the dominant browser, after all they have some of the same advantages that Microsoft had with Internet Explorer, but dominant or not, I will keep my options open so long as they are available to me.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:8.0a2) Gecko/20110911 Firefox/8.0a2
ncd

Postby James » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:59 am

You make a lot of sense. I'll need to mull these things over.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us; Silk/1.1.0-84) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16 Silk-Accelerated=true
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby jpChris » Sat 21 Jan, 2012 11:44 pm

I just did the test and it came back with 1464. However, I had three browser windows open (here; KUNLV webcast; Retro105 webcast) and Windows Media Player going.

Quite the cacophony and resource hog, but, my score was better than what's posted: Although 2 tests weren't done.

I'll stay with SeaMonkey.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121 Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5
jpChris

Postby James » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 9:47 am

jpChris wrote:I just did the test and it came back with 1464. However, I had three browser windows open (here; KUNLV webcast; Retro105 webcast) and Windows Media Player going.

Quite the cacophony and resource hog, but, my score was better than what's posted: Although 2 tests weren't done.

I'll stay with SeaMonkey.

I'm a curious guy, jpChris. So may I ask "why" you've stayed with SeaMonkey? Is it the only browser you use? As you can see, I'm using Opera's browser today. It's not as quick as Chrome but it's a suite in the pattern of SeaMonkey (although I don't bother with the mail portion of the suite). I would never choose to make Opera my default but from time to time I like to give it a run (and have been doing so since version 5 many years ago... a version I actually paid for...LOL). And years ago, come to think of it, I paid for Netscape 3 and I paid for Internet Explorer 4 when it first came out in Canada (Oh... it was a Plus version that I was paying for if memory serves).

Now that my ramble is over: why choose to stick with SeaMonkey? There are so few of you that it makes me wonder.
UserAgent: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; U; en) Presto/2.10.229 Version/11.60
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 2:09 pm

Seamonkey is my default browser/mail program. I use all others, at one time or other, but if there is a link in a browser, and I need my mail to open, Seamonkey will open. If I use Thunderbird, or very rarely Outlook Express, and there is a link, Seamonkey will open. Seamonkey is just practical.
As for those who love Google Chrome, yesterday I went to one of my favorite websites, emusic.com, where I can purchase music, legally, and quite cheaply. I have to create my album cover, easily done, by saving the image, but a nuisance can be the playlist. I have to select the text, copy it, and then paste it in some other software. The selection is done by right clicking, and highlighting. This works flawlessly with all browsers, except for Google Chrome, where the highlighting failed. I will consider Chrome, only when I will be able to copy text, and paste it somewhere else. If there is a different way to do this, I would like to know, but knowing what I know about it, Chrome is unacceptable.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF30, TB24.6, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby James » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 5:38 pm

Yes, but Fulvio. This is not the first time you've been unable to do something in Chrome but others have... myself included. I'm not sure why you have such issues but I don't so it's not the fault of the browser (and before you rush to judgment, I'm not saying it's your fault either... but it very well may be in your system or in the way in which you've set up Chrome).

I'm still curious to know why jpChris continues with SM. Is it simply a case of... I've always used Netscape/Mozilla/and now SeaMonkey suites and since they're familiar, they're comfortable for me and I don't really want to change? If so... I can appreciate that reasoning.

As for links opening in SM, links open for me in Thunderbird, in Windows Live Mail and in Outlook so again, I'm not sure why you always seem to have these issues. All of those email programs (including Opera's by the way) work exactly in the same manner for me so why they don't for you is beyond me. It's simply a matter of taste... GUI maybe... familiarity... who knows why we settle on a certain browser and email program over another. I maintain that hundreds of millions of users cannot all be wrong. When you have such an incredible number of users (many of whom are tech heads) adopting Chrome, that has to tell you something. And when you have such a minuscule number using another program (i.e. SeaMonkey), that also has to tell you something. If SeaMonkey were so great, there would be a far greater number of users adopting it. My understanding is that it is now under 1% of users... it's not even on the radar of most who use the internet today. In my view that is because it is seen as a step backwards... it's retrograde... yesterday's answer. Now that is a perception. It may not be complete reality but that, I believe, is how most users online today view suites (Opera and SeaMonkey) and as a result neither will ever be very popular. The question is: how much longer will they be developed? At what point will the devs simply pull out and leave the users high and dry?
UserAgent: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; U; en) Presto/2.10.229 Version/11.60
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 7:12 pm

but it very well may be in your system or in the way in which you've set up Chrome).

I posted assuming that someone could tell me which settings may affect me. Interestingly, today I spent over an hour on the phone with Panasonic tech support(?), having gotten unsupported format after recording on their machine. Of course, it could not have been the machine. It must have been what I was down (no detail given), or the non-panasonic DVDs (I have used DVDs from the same batch all along). I told him that I was getting the error only when I selected to record at a later time. Manual recording was fine. Then, he proceeded to "prove" to me that I was doing something wrong, or there was no problem, but having me record manually. :twisted:
My Chrome issues are not as profound, but, somewhat similar. It must be something that I do, or, best "the system", which is accused of causing problem with my Microsoft Security updates.
I have had two problems with Chrome. One with the profile which was not liked by the program. The program went away after an update.
The problem of not being able to select a portion of the webpage, to be copied is serious. I can do it in IE, Seamonkey, Firefox, and whatever else I try, but not in Chrome. It does not matter were I do the attempted copy/paste to. I, just, can't select a section of the webpage. At least, in emusic.com.
I will try again, and see what setting may prevent me from doing what I want, but this is real.
Sorry for tirade. I hope that you understand why I did it.
I agree that Chrome is fast, but I am used to Seamonkey. It is not the fact that it is the best, but I like a program which has both mail and browser, and I make them default. As such, if I use another browser, e.g. Chrome, and I click on a link to send mail, it will open Seamonkey mail, and no other, and, if I am in a mail program, when I click on a click, it will open Seamonkey, the browser.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF30, TB24.6, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby James » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 9:41 pm

Okay. I appreciate your taking the time to enlighten me. I think the real key is in what you said towards the end of your post: "...but I am used to Seamonkey. It is not the fact that it is the best, but I like a program which has both mail and browser..." And that is more or less what I was driving at with jpChris: familiarity. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. My wife is familiar with IE and Windows Mail and that is all there is to it. Whereas she does have Firefox on her computer, she seldom uses it for that very reason. She keeps both programs up to date and has not had any (and I mean... "any") issues whatsoever in the past several years. To her way of thinking: why mess with something that isn't broken? Why change something that I understand and that has worked just fine? And I have to agree with her.

I have a dock (Dell dock) that hugs the top portion of my monitor, just barely visible. All of my main programs are contained therein. I have no desktop icons whatsoever. If I'm in my browser and I want to read my ISP's mail, I simply hover over the edge of the dock and it drops down revealing the mail icon. I click it and I'm in my mail. In many respects it is just about as fast as having it as part of a suite. And having my mail separate from the browser (Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail) has never created any significant issues for me. In fact, the only issue I've had was a recent problem with SeaMonkey which I was able to resolve.

Bottom line in all of this: we have to find what works best for us and stick with it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby jpChris » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:22 am

@ James,

You hit the nail on the head:
... I've always used Netscape/Mozilla/and now SeaMonkey suites and since they're familiar, they're comfortable for me and I don't really want to change?

Personally, I'd still be using NS 4.7 (I still have a copy) and Juno 1.49 (and a copy of that, too. I started out with W95 with the above way back in '96 and they served my needs. I used to run SM 1.8, but there's been too many changes on the net and I had to upgrade to SM 2.5.

Other than being able to access some things that I wasn't able to with 1.8, IMNSHO "they" made 2.5 a complete c**kup. Changes seemingly for no apparent reason other than to impress themselves; moving my Mozilla folder has two different ways to do it, BUT(!), one of them is wrong (and, it's on their site); combining cache with a .json file??? I mean, really, what was wrong with bookmarks.html, cookies.txt and history.dat. I had a simple .bat file that at the end of the day, a click and everything was cleared. Now, I have to open SM to do it or set it to prompt me to clean the info every time I close out of SM. It's quite annoying since I open SM about a dozen times a day and I have to click something.

What I'd really like to know is: When you close SM, what ".exe" file is called up with the "Clear . . ." box so I can put a shortcut on my Desktop and just do it once a day when I shut down for the day?

TMI, James? :D
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121 Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5
jpChris

Postby James » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:53 am

LOL... nope. Just the right amount, jpChris. Deep down, I think that for most users (not all, mind you.. particularly those with special needs [i.e. developers]), the answer is pretty much the same: they stick with something that is familiar, something with which they're comfortable, something that does not need fixing and does the job.
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 1:47 pm

My point was that Chrome, so praised by many, gives me unacceptable problems. So far, no one has come up with an answer. Yes, I like Seamonkey, because I am used to it, and it works for me. And, it is up-to-date.
And, I like a program which comes up when I want it, by default, but I can't win when someone who writes a webpage can force IE to come up, instead.
But, if someone finds anything which works, fine. It does not affect him/her, if I don't find agreement.
I will be delighted to give up Seamonkey, if it will not do, for me, what I want it to do. But, in the meantime, I am, always, looking around.
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby James » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 2:42 pm

It's interesting, Fulvio, how you end your post with: "...in the meantime, I am always looking around." That pretty much sums up my own experience. I generally browse with Firefox for the reasons jpChris gave for using SM: familiarity and the fact that it gets the job done. One might then ask: why look around? I suppose the answer is: boredom and/or curiosity. Right now I have Opera, Chrome, IE9 and FF all set up nearly identical. All will more or less do the exact same thing. And I have Outlook, Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird all set up identically and they all, more or less, do the exact same thing. I'm not sure when I started messing about (I think it was when AOL cut support for NS9 and that threw me for a loop). I'd like to settle down with one browser and one mail program (excluding my webmail accounts) but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm just too curious and just too bored so I'll probably continue messing about until something changes this pattern just as AOL's withdrawal of support changed things.

Fulvio: an aside: I've recently been reading the books of Peter Pezzelli. I really think you might enjoy his books. He is Italian American and writes with great love and affection for those who love Italian culture and everyday life. If you're interested, start with his book: Home to Italy which you can find here:

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Italy-Peter- ... 282&sr=8-1

My wife and I visited Tuscany a year ago and found his writing to be spot on. He writes fiction but wonderful... wonderful descriptive fiction.

I've also completed "Lucrezia's Kitchen" and am currently on "Villa Mirabella".
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 7:30 pm

the books of Peter Pezzelli.

I may enjoy them, but my Italy was very different from the romantic Italy described in many books. I came from the far North-East, and my hometown is,no longer, in Italy, and came here, as a refugee. But, this is not related to Firefox et al.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby James » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 9:43 pm

Fulvio wrote: But, this is not related to Firefox et al.

LOL... I know; it was an aside, after all. But let's face it: 90% of all our threads on SillyDog end up diverging from the intent of the original poster. It's just the way things go I suppose. Anyway... consider at least that first book to which I linked. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Check the guy out. He lives with his family in Providence, RI.
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

PreviousNext

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape