Test your browser

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Re: Test your browser

Postby Fulvio » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 2:39 pm

I am in the middle of three books, at once, but I will consider your advice.
And, I went to Chrome, as you can see, and I have no problem selecting the desired text to be copied.
In cases like this, I blame the webpage, and, most of the time, I am right.
But, Chrome keeps playing with my mind, so ignore anything else, negative, I may have to say. It must be me, after all.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.75 Safari/535.7
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby James » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 9:38 pm

I think you should just use what you want, Fulvio. And I think that is SeaMonkey which seems to work well for you. I'm glad you got Chrome to work but it does mean that your email is not tied in as seamlessly as it was with SM. It can work for me because of the Dell Dock that drops down for me. Anyway... I was really just curious as to why it is that we settle on one or more than one browser. What I discovered was that it is not always based upon performance but sometimes on familiarity.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Thu 26 Jan, 2012 1:44 pm

What I discovered was that it is not always based upon performance but sometimes on familiarity.

You are, probably correct, to a point, but performance, as measured by arcane tests ( arcane to me, at least) is of no interest. Familiarity? May be. But it is, mostly, my decision. My cable connection was set up with Netscape (yes, a very open-minded ISP). So, it is logical that I would transition to Mozilla, Firefox+Thunderbird or Seamonkey.
I opted to Seamonkey, mainly because when I open it, by the time I get to my mail, it is there. Thunderbird will not let me open mail, as long as it is downloading any. Of course, the comparison is not fair, because I look at the browser, first, so Seamonkey has a chance to download all mail. I have, never, bothered to go, directly, to mail, but with seven accounts set up, it is very annoying to have to wait. And, as long as Seamonkey is around, it will my default for mail and browser. It is, simply, practical. Also, it uses a bit over 130MB memory, important with my puny computer. I have tried with other combinations of browser and mail, and may use nearly 200 MB.
Based on these criteria, Seamonkey comes ahead, and it is, precisely, for the reason that it is irrelevant to others, i.e. that it can handle browser+mail better.
Now, you know the entire story. The end.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby James » Thu 26 Jan, 2012 9:36 pm

Well... it was an interesting story, nevertheless, and given the fact that things appear a bit dead in SillyDog 701 these days, it kept my attention. Interestingly enough, when I first went online in the autumn of 1997, my "then" ISP set it up with Netscape as well: NS 3.0 to be specific. Like you, that pretty much set the course for what was to follow over the next 15 years.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Previous

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape