The Really Quite Unusual Screengrabs Thread . . .

For all tech/computer related or even internet related discussions not covered in other sections. Also iPad, iPhone, iPod, Surface and multimedia discussions.

The Really Quite Unusual Screengrabs Thread . . .

Postby DJGM » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 7:20 am

Here's a challenge . . . post screengrabs of really weird and unusual things on your PC or Mac. Keep it clean!

To start with . . . just how many additional toolbars does an IE user need . . . ?!?

Click the screengrab to see a larger (800x600 pixels) version of this image.

(Remember, all inline images must be no wider than 550 pixels.
Use only PNG or JPG formats for your images. No GIFs or TIFFs!)

OK folks . . . over to you . . . !
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 9:51 am

On 29th March 2004, I [sdp=29475]posted[/sdp] following browser crazy screenshot.

Browsers were: Safari, Netscape, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Camino. It was in my old PowerMac G4 400MHz (with 512MB RAM), running Mac OS X Jaguar :jaguar:

Now,
with the most powerful PowerMac G4 (dual 1.42GHz) with 2GB of RAM :panther: , and a wide format display
And the list:
2 guess OSes running under Virtual PC for Mac v.6 (Windows 2000 and Fedora Linux 1)
Browsers: Konqueror (under Fedora), Netscape 7.2 (Windows 2000), MSIE 5.2, Camino, Netscape 7.2 (OS X), Safari.
They are all running very smooth (thanks to 2GB of RAM).

The image file in its size (1680 x 1050): quality compressed but not resized (about 190 kb)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/125.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.9
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Andrew T. » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 4:22 pm

I found some slightly unusual screenshots of my own I had saved. From December 2002 to November 2003, I had a personal website hosted on GeoCities.

A summary of slightly out-of-the-ordinary browser statistics from the day the site went live.
(BTW, I always found GeoCities' site statistics services woefully inaccurate...a single visitor on a low-traffic site can tip the statistics wildly.)

And here is the site itself at the very beginning of 2003. This shows what a website looks like before it has much of any content!

Both screenshots are of the 16-bit version of Netscape Navigator 4.08 running on Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (with an unusual system color scheme), something most of us don't see every day!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
Andrew T.
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Andrew T. » Fri 20 Aug, 2004 9:00 pm

Mozilla.org seems to render especially poorly in Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01...

I saved this screenshot from a relative's computer while in the process of switching him over to Mozilla.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
Andrew T.
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Lorraine » Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:58 pm

ohhhhhhh! Computers were so easy in those days, it seems:)
I didn't save a webshot but I know that Geocities worked better than it does now. I made my site in WBS and transferred them all to one site in Geocities, with help from someone. I did my own HTML, copied from a print out. It took some time to make those pages.lol which are a mess right now. I must go and try and fix them. if possible.

In which version did Composer begin? That's when I made another site. It's still there too, the same place. I think it was NS4.0 and much easier than making one now.
I started on the PC with Vs. Netscape 2.0 ...my CD says NS2.0 which was with my ISP then. You would never know it, would you? I still don't know very much. lol
Now I'm using IE, haven't used it very long and I really don't do very much on it anymore except PSP.
-Lorraine
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Lorraine
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Sat 21 Aug, 2004 1:39 pm

Andrew T. wrote:Image

Mozilla.org seems to render especially poorly in Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01...

I saved this screenshot from a relative's computer while in the process of switching him over to Mozilla.

He was still using IE4 ?!? . . . blimey o'reilly! Mozilla would have been a godsend for him!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040805 Netscape/7.2
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby djv1 » Sat 21 Aug, 2004 9:21 pm

the weirdest screen grab I've ever taken

http://nervousrat.com/main.htm
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9.1
Dustin
djv1
diamond member
diamond member

Postby David Wonn » Wed 25 Aug, 2004 7:24 pm

This sounds like a fun topic, so I'll contribute some of my screenshots:

What's wrong with this picture? Note that the OS doesn't appear to match the GUI. Basically, I'm running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 over Windows 95 OSR2's DOS (7.1) with the aid of a simple patch to the IO.SYS.

Now for more some fun...

Yes, that's another legitimate screenshot. All I did was typed a bunch of nonsense into the Run dialog box in Program Manager to achieve this effect. You can do this in newer versions of Windows as well by opening up progman.exe and selecting File - Run, and then type whatever you want.

When was the last time you saw that much memory free on Windows 3.x? It's amazing how well it flies on a P3 with 512 MB of RAM. I reduced the colors from 24-bit to 16-color VGA and avoided loading unnecessary TSRs in order to maximize the amount of free RAM and resources on startup. Not content with that, I went even further to save yet another 5 kilobytes of RAM and 1% of system resources...

This time I tampered with the system.ini file and changed the shell from progman.exe to clock.exe. So with only the clock open, how did I manage to take a screenshot? Simple. I hacked, er edited another line in the system.ini to treat pbrush.exe as my "screen saver." :-)

Who says I can't run Lynx in Windows 3.x? OK, I admit it's not the Win32 port of Lynx, but it is a DOS port. The title bar can't be dynamically changed AFAIK, so I sort of faked it by using that URL as the description for a shortcut in Program Manager.

If anyone likes what I have posted so far, I'll see what screenshots I have on some other OSes next time I get a chance....
UserAgent: Mozilla/1.22 (Windows; I; 16bit)
David Wonn

Postby Andrew T. » Wed 25 Aug, 2004 7:41 pm

David Wonn wrote:What's wrong with this picture? Note that the OS doesn't appear to match the GUI. Basically, I'm running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 over Windows 95 OSR2's DOS (7.1) with the aid of a simple patch to the IO.SYS.
What a coincidence...I almost forgot that I had done that myself! Here's my own screenshot of this very unusual-appearing occurrence, which I had previously linked to in my "Running Windows 3.1x from Windows 9x." thread. :D

Andrew T.
diamond member
diamond member

Postby David Wonn » Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:07 am

It's always good to hear from others who have tried this as well. I first heard about adding Win 3.x on top of an existing 9x partition a couple years ago. I was a little hesitant at first to try, but now it has worked out just fine for the past year and a half. It's great for messing around, and I have learned a lot about tweaking things more efficiently. It boots up faster than any of the newer Windows, making it handy for times when I just want to quickly get on the Net to check a few things. Of course even that pales in comparison to the speed of logging on to the Net in pure DOS. :-)
UserAgent: xChaos_Arachne/4.1.70;rev.3 (DOS x86;WATTCP/1.05; 800x600,HiColor; www.arachne.cz)
David Wonn

Postby David Wonn » Thu 26 Aug, 2004 7:04 pm

Now that I'm on Windows 95 OSR2, here is another odd screenshot that I see on occasion in Windows Explorer. What's that extra E: drive doing there in the left pane?
UserAgent: NCSA Mosaic/3.0.0 (Windows x86)
David Wonn

Postby Wellander » Thu 26 Aug, 2004 7:09 pm

Hi,
It looks like another cd rom drive.
I have that.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8a3) Gecko/20040817
Wellander
diamond member
diamond member

Postby David Wonn » Sat 28 Aug, 2004 4:23 pm

Ah yes, how could I forget the screen shots of beating Minesweeper in 1 second.

For an explanation of how this is done (no, I didn't hack the ini file), go to http://kontek.net/davidwonn/misc.html#PC and scroll down to Minesweeper. This can be done on any version of Windows.

I certainly won't get into the topic of game glitches here since my site covers that, but since Minesweeper is included in every version of Windows since 3.x, I figured it would appropriately fit in this topic as an "Unusual Screen Grab."
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.78 [en]C-CCK-MCD (Windows NT 5.0; U)
David Wonn

Postby David Wonn » Sun 29 Aug, 2004 4:35 pm

This is, without a doubt, one of the weirdest errors I have seen on Windows NT 4.0. At first I thought it was some new virus, but then I realized that it looks more like a flaw in NT itself. I think I had turned off my modem at just the right time to produce this. Instinctively, I took a screen shot of it so I could research what it is. AFAIK, there is no info anywhere on the web about this particular error.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.79 [en] (WinNT; U)
David Wonn

Postby David Wonn » Mon 30 Aug, 2004 3:59 pm

It's time again for some more Windows NT 4.0 fun. If you drag an image from Netscape Communicator onto an empty spot on the taskbar, you are greeted with the following:

I know that's not interesting in particular, but if you leave that dialog up for 8 seconds, you'll get another dialog box that appears behind it. Clicking OK on the one above will reveal this one:

This appears to be some old relic carried over from NT 3.x. If you click Switch To, your Start menu will open up, but ONLY THE FIRST TIME. I guess Windows NT gets "smart" after that and no longer opens the Start Menu on subsequent attempts to press Switch To.

Pressing Retry seems to just make the dialog box go away, but if you press Alt-Space right after that, you'll find a hidden window. Choose Maximize, and you'll unveil "Netscape's Hidden Frame", yet another relic that's been around since the first versions of Netscape. Closing the hidden frame has the effect of killing all Netscape windows. I'm pretty sure that "Netscape's Hidden Frame" still exists even in the newer Gecko-based versions, but I don't recall at the moment how to trigger it....

Furthermore, if you click the ? mark in the upper right portion of the dialog box, then click any other portion of the dialog box (or alternatively right click), the little Windows help pop-up will appear as expected, but the dialog box will mysteriously vanish. I don't know offhand if all of this behavior is carried over to Windows 2000 though, but it appears to be removed from XP.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.04 [en] (WinNT; I)
David Wonn

Next

Return to General Computing, Gadgets and Tech