Trying to qualify Safari for my blogs

For all discussions on Safari and Chrome browsers, and any other browsers that uses WebKit as the rendering engine.

Trying to qualify Safari for my blogs

Postby richard mitnick » Sat 17 Dec, 2011 3:17 pm

So, I loaded Safari to try to qualify it for my blog work. Copying images I think I got, clunky, too many clicks, but I think it works.

But, I cannot get Safari to give me the url for a bookmark. I put in a lot of hot links for people to visit sites. In FF, SM, and Chrome, I go to the Bookmarks folder, select the bookmark, right click and either get it from Properties or now I have discovered, just right click and copy works.

In Safari, I visit the bookmark in the folder and right click and nothing happens. Nada, zilch. What's up with that? Is there a way for me to do this? I have qualified Chrome to use in stead of SeaMonkey, I want something to use instead of Firefox. I just do not trust Mozilla to be around.

Any help with this Safari issue?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/534.52.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.2 Safari/534.52.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Trying to qualify Safari for my blogs

Postby Antony » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 2:18 am

I would suggest you spend a few minutes on this Safari video (http://support.apple.com/kb/VI23?viewlocale=en_US) which will give you a better start on Safari.

Exactly where do you try to "right-click"?

To add bookmark, you can simply click the "+" next to the URL. Or simply drag the URL to bookmark bar (or drag to Bookmark (click on the Bookmark icon).

To add folders in bookmark, simply click "+" at bottom of the Bookmark.

Once you are in Bookmark (option-command-B), you can perform right click on the bookmarks or folders.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.24) Gecko/20111103 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.24
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 11:40 am

Antony wrote:I would suggest you spend a few minutes on this Safari video (http://support.apple.com/kb/VI23?viewlocale=en_US) which will give you a better start on Safari.

Exactly where do you try to "right-click"?

I right click on an existing bookmark.

To add bookmark, you can simply click the "+" next to the URL. Or simply drag the URL to bookmark bar (or drag to Bookmark (click on the Bookmark icon).

I have no problem adding bookmarks or folders.

To add folders in bookmark, simply click "+" at bottom of the Bookmark.

Once you are in Bookmark (option-command-B), you can perform right click on the bookmarks or folders.

Sorry, I do not get it. When I bring my cursor over a bookmark and right click, nothing happens, no context menu.

I cannot view the video, I do not have and do not want to have Quicktime on my computers.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 2:05 pm

Found the problem: In Safari as it installs, access the Bookmarks tab in the Menu bar brings up a pulldown menu, the command Show All Bookmarks. I frankly consider this a royal pain in the tush. So, what I had done was to create a folder on the Bookmarks Toolbar called "BMS". I then moved all of the folders of bookmarks and also those not in folders into that folder on the Bookmarks Toolbar. It is these bookmarks with which I was working and for which I could not get a context menu.

Now, mind you, this is exactly what I did in Chrome, got rid of the Bookmarks thingy at the right side and created a folder on the Bookmarks Toolbar. In Chrome, those folders and bookmarks work perfectly well, context menus and all.

So, in Safari, I got rid of all bookmarks and re-imported from an.html file on my desktop and just left them where Apple wants them. Now they work perfectly well.

The most polite thing I can say is that I hope not to need Safari. It is a pity that Safari is not as forgiving of personal choice as is Chrome. But, hey, I should have known better.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 3:09 pm

Richard, bear in mind that Safari is one of the least secure browsers. It was hacked at this year's hacker's convention in under ten seconds. I would be very hesitant at using it for anything of a sensitive nature; certainly not for any shopping or banking. For me... I'll stick with Firefox, Chrome and IE9. And as we near 2012 when the beta of Win8 is supposed to make an appearance, I'm thinking that we might soon be treated to IE10 with increased protection from a beefed up Windows Essentials Security.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 3:56 pm

James-

Thanks, a word from the wise..."
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/534.52.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.2 Safari/534.52.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 4:30 pm

Yo, Dudes and Dudettes, whatever happened to favicons (colored icons) for bookmarks? My last outings with Safari, I think I remember them.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/534.52.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.2 Safari/534.52.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 8:47 pm

richard mitnick wrote:Sorry, I do not get it. When I bring my cursor over a bookmark and right click, nothing happens, no context menu.

Exactly where is the "Bookmark" you were referring to?

Simply click on the "Bookmark" icon on Bookmark Bar (as pictured below),

Then, you can right click on either side of the pane as in Show All Bookmarks (pictured below),
To organise the bookmarks, simply drag them around.
To add new folders (for bookmarks), click "+" icon at bottom.

To add new bookmarks, drag the FavIcon (from URL bar) to Bookmark Bar or into Show All Bookmarks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.24) Gecko/20111103 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.24
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 8:55 pm

Antony-

I fixed it. I had moved all of the bookmarks into a folder on the Bookmarks Toolbar. That still allows full utility in Chrome, but apparently not in Safari. So, I scuttled the existing bookmarks, did a full re-import, and all is well.

How about the favicons? They are not showing on the Bookmarks Toolbar. They do show in the Bookmarks pull down menu; but I want them to show on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I am getting this to where I want it to use on one of my blogs.

Thanks for your help.
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 9:51 pm

richard mitnick wrote:How about the favicons? They are not showing on the Bookmarks Toolbar. They do show in the Bookmarks pull down menu; but I want them to show on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I guess it is not possible in order to maintain the steamline look of the browser. (Firefox's Bookmarks Toolbar does not show the Favicons either (on Mac).)

BTW, there's an AdBlock extension (add-on) for Safari, more at https://extensions.apple.com/ .
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 3:48 pm

Hey Antony-

Spring is fading into Summer?

FF does in fact show the favicons in the Bookmarks Toolbar. Also, in fact, one need not even have any text.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 6:56 pm

richard mitnick wrote:Hey Antony-

Spring is fading into Summer?
Yes, I've been sneezing recently. How's your beautiful snow up there for Christmas?

richard mitnick wrote:FF does in fact show the favicons in the Bookmarks Toolbar. Also, in fact, one need not even have any text.
Not on Mac version.
The "SillyDog701" (pointed with red arrow) is a bookmark, and it does not show any favicon, only the bookmarks under the folder does.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:04 pm

Antony- FF with favicons on Bookmarks Toolbar.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 11:27 pm

A couple of things, Richard:

- what program are you using to capture your screen image?

- I'm curious as to why you are giving up so much monitor real estate?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Tue 20 Dec, 2011 5:58 am

James, Imageshack, and, I do not understand your question about "monitor real estate"?

BTW, Imageshack only because it's the only utility I know for images. I never remember which URL to grab.
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Next

Return to Safari and Chrome