Tweaking phpBB

A section for all development and testing programmes and customised browsers written by SillyDog701 community. Featured products including Donzilla, Firescape, DJGM Distro, and Netscape Streamline.

Tweaking phpBB

Postby Tidus » Sat 14 Oct, 2006 4:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I've recently started tweaking the Athena theme on KJC's forum, as it's the best theme i've found so far to customize. However, in the Administration Area, there's all the Administration sidebar, but in the big frame that takes up most of the window, there's all information about the theme, and i want to get rid of this, to put in some staff notes for our forum Administrators and Moderators.

Thing is, i don't know whether it's a php file, .tpl file, or a html file, that contains all the text!

Can someone help me?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060910 SeaMonkey/1.0.5
Tidus
BANNED offensive user
BANNED offensive user

Postby Tidus » Sun 15 Oct, 2006 7:44 pm

Nobody want to help poor Tiddles? :(
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Tidus
BANNED offensive user
BANNED offensive user

Postby Antony » Sun 15 Oct, 2006 7:59 pm

If you want to add new functions, you will need to do the PHP part.

If you just want to change the layout, it's the template. There are a number of templates around you can try. Of if you prefer, you can make your own.

However, in the Administration Area, there's all the Administration sidebar, but in the big frame that takes up most of the window, there's all information about the theme, and i want to get rid of this, to put in some staff notes for our forum Administrators and Moderators.
If you do not plant to change the notes often, you can just modify the template file. Use HTML to change it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Tidus » Wed 18 Oct, 2006 7:32 am

That doesn't answer my question, Ant. I know it's a template file, but which one, and where?

Come on, you must know this, you've customised SillyDog to buggery!

It's this text, in the Administration Area:

KJC forum Admin area wrote:Welcome to phpBB

Thank you for choosing phpBB as your forum solution. This screen will give you a quick overview of all the various statistics of your board. You can get back to this page by clicking on the Admin Index link in the left pane. To return to the index of your board, click the phpBB logo also in the left pane. The other links on the left hand side of this screen will allow you to control every aspect of your forum experience. Each screen will have instructions on how to use the tools.

Athena phpBB Style Notes
You are allowed to use this phpBB style only if you agree to the following conditions:
- You cannot remove my copyright notice from style without my permission.
- You cannot use images from this style anywhere else without my permission.
- You can convert this style to another software, but converted style must have my copyright.
- If you want to create new phpBB style based on this style you must ask my permission.
- If you modify this style it still should contain my copyright because it is based on my work. Modified style should not be available for download without my permission.

For support visit: http://www.phpbbstyles.com

To change style configuration edit file "templates/Athena/Athena.cfg". That file allowes you to enable/disable clickable cells and change color of cells.

If you want your forum to run faster or if you want to see additional features of this style I recommend you use eXtreme Styles mod for phpBB.

Sincerely,
Vjacheslav Trushkin (aka CyberAlien).

Which template file has all this in it?
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Tidus
BANNED offensive user
BANNED offensive user

Postby Antony » Wed 18 Oct, 2006 9:34 am

The most likely location is
[tt](forum root)/templates/Athena/admin/index_body.tpl[/tt]

Assuming the it uses "Athena" in the directory.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Tidus » Thu 19 Oct, 2006 4:04 am

Thanks Ant, i found it, and can now add my staff notes ;)

I knew you knew!

What about this text, just above the text i asked about?

KJC Admin area wrote:Welcome to phpBB
Thank you for choosing phpBB as your forum solution. This screen will give you a quick overview of all the various statistics of your board. You can get back to this page by clicking on the Admin Index link in the left pane. To return to the index of your board, click the phpBB logo also in the left pane. The other links on the left hand side of this screen will allow you to control every aspect of your forum experience. Each screen will have instructions on how to use the tools.

It gets called up separately, from a different file, i just thought i'd ask you, i'm too busy to root through template files!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Tidus
BANNED offensive user
BANNED offensive user

Postby Antony » Thu 19 Oct, 2006 4:43 am

Tidus wrote:Thanks Ant, i found it, and can now add my staff notes ;)

I knew you knew!

What about this text, just above the text i asked about?

KJC Admin area wrote:Welcome to phpBB

It gets called up separately, from a different file, i just thought i'd ask you, i'm too busy to root through template files!
or perhaps too lazy ;-)

That's from the language file. You can either edit the language file or the template.

BTW, you will need to do the similar modification to each templates you have. As your other admin might use a different theme (unless you only offer one).

To remove it from displaying, simply remove [tt]{L_ADMIN_INTRO}[/tt] (OR [tt]<p>{L_ADMIN_INTRO}</p>[/tt])

If you want to change the content it displays, it's in [tt]lang_admin.php[/tt] file, and find the line starting with "[tt]$lang['Admin_intro'][/tt]". Be careful with apostrophe (', single quote).
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Return to SD701 DevZone