TWO ROUTERS - no wireless

This section is for any issues on setting up or configuring networks at home and small business.

TWO ROUTERS - no wireless

Postby mendospot » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 12:19 am

I have had trouble with my wireless disconnecting and cannot find the problem. I've decided I don't really care that much about being wireless as much as I care about being able to use my computer in two rooms--my home office and my upstairs bedroom. So I bought an additional router to use upstairs. It works fine as long as I remember to unplug the downstairs router. But, what if my DH wanted to use his computer on the downstairs router while I'm upstairs using my laptop? Can only one be used at a time? I was trying to find information on bridging but that always brings me to wireless usage. I have no faith that my wireless will ever work properly so I don't even want to go there anymore. My routers are 2wire (they are the same). Can someone point me in the right direction as far as research goes even? I don't know what words to use. Thanks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
mendospot

Postby Antony » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 2:49 am

Firstly, what is the model of your routers?

How are you connecting from your ADSL/Cable modem to your routers?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021906 Firefox/3.0.7
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Don_HH2K » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 7:01 am

The easiest way around having to unplug one router or the other would be to wirelessly bridge them. Failing that, it sounds like you have some sort of cable running to the second router upstairs. What you could do is configure the second router as a wired bridge - you'd have to refer to your particular router's manual on how to do this. Also, if the upstairs router has a built-in switch, you may be able to connect the downstairs router to it as well as the upstairs computer, and (again referring to your manual) turn off NAT services on the upstairs computer.

A very simple solution would be to connect the downstairs router to the WAN port (this may also be labeled as the Internet port) on the back of the upstairs router, though note that this can and most likely will cause problems if you ever decide to share files across the two computers.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0 x64; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1pre) Gecko/20090214 Minefield/3.2a1pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

TWO ROUTERS

Postby mendospot » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 9:50 am

Both routers are 2Wire 1701HG Gateway. I have DSL service and connect each of the routers to my computers via ethernet cable. I don't have the two routers connected to each other. Each one is connected to it's own phone/dsl line. To bridge wirelessly, does that mean I need to use my wireless card and connect the computer that way? Or are the routers just connected wirelessly to each other? I'm not sure where the problem lies with my wireless but it never lasts long before I get disconnected. I'm not concerned about sharing--we've never shared files (I'm very selfish) and we each have our own printers etc. thanks again.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
mendospot

Postby Antony » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 10:15 am

Just a bit confused on what you were saying. Do you have two separate DSL services/phone lines? Or just one DSL service?

If you only have one DSL account (with one ISP), in most cases, you can only use one DSL modem (I assume 2Wire 1701HG Gateway is your DSL modem) at a time. The simply thing for you do is simply use one DSL modem, and enable the wireless to cover the entire house.
Otherwise, get a long ethernet cable and wire across the corridors.

Ideally, you can use one router as a main wireless base station (connects to the phone line), and use another one to expand the wireless network. There are two ways to do so, one is known as Wireless Distribution System where two wireless routers were linked wirelessly. Another method is known as roaming network, you will need to use an ethernet cable to link them up.

Hope this helps.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/528.16
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

TWO ROUTERS

Postby mendospot » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 11:20 am

Yes, I have only one DSL account.

"and enable the wireless to cover the entire house. " If my wireless doesn't work when I'm 10 feet away, I don't know how I'm going to get it to work in the entire house.

I'll look into the other suggestions. I appreciate your time and responses.
mendospot

Re: TWO ROUTERS

Postby Antony » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 5:33 pm

mendospot wrote:"and enable the wireless to cover the entire house. " If my wireless doesn't work when I'm 10 feet away, I don't know how I'm going to get it to work in the entire house.
If the routers are not faulty, it should work.

You might need to check the manual, and see how you can create a wireless network. You will need to log router's control panel (connected by ethernet cable).
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021906 Firefox/3.0.7
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Happy Dude » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 12:36 am

Also putting the wireless router up high will extend the coverage. If you've got it sitting on a desk it wont go far
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Happy Dude

TWO ROUTERS

Postby mendospot » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:10 am

I was kind of wondering about my wireless adapter. Maybe it's weak or something. I don't know. Sometimes my computer will connect to my router, sometimes not. Sometimes it connects to my neighbor's router. If I see I'm on my neighbor's, then I try to connect to my own and sometimes it will, but often not. It seems to prefer my neighbor's but then I get a weak signal. I rarely take my laptop away from home but when I do, I usually wish I hadn't. Rarely can I connect to a hotel's internet wirelessly. Perhaps due to being too far from their router. Right now I'm on my neighbor's wireless but when I try to change to mine, it disconnects. I guess that would mean a router problem, 'eh?
mendospot

Re: TWO ROUTERS

Postby iJohnE » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:15 am

mendospot wrote:I was kind of wondering about my wireless adapter. Maybe it's weak or something. I don't know. Sometimes my computer will connect to my router, sometimes not. Sometimes it connects to my neighbor's router. If I see I'm on my neighbor's, then I try to connect to my own and sometimes it will, but often not. It seems to prefer my neighbor's but then I get a weak signal. I rarely take my laptop away from home but when I do, I usually wish I hadn't. Rarely can I connect to a hotel's internet wirelessly. Perhaps due to being too far from their router. Right now I'm on my neighbor's wireless but when I try to change to mine, it disconnects. I guess that would mean a router problem, 'eh?

Would it have to do something with the security settings on your laptop? Also, if it you're wireless card is going then you can just pick up a cheap USB adapter, or a new wireless card.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Last edited by iJohnE on Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss.
I use :ff: on :mac: :win: :tux:.
Official Mozilla affiliate, and product tester and promoter.
Set the web free, download Mozilla Firefox.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Home and Business Networking