Emptying Trash Issue

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Emptying Trash Issue

Postby EddiePaxil » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello Silly Dog!

It's been a while since I've been here. However, I have an issue with my older Mac and thought of you guys. In the past I've found such great help here.

First my system. Mac G4 Sawtooth running OS X 10.3.9 with a 1 Ghz sonnet/ encore processor and 1 GB Ram.

My problem is simple. There's a file I want to delete. However, when I try to delete it I get the following message:
"The operation cannot be completed because the item, 'images' is in use.' It gives me the option to stop or continue. I select continue because this file is not doing anything, and the emptying of the trash quits.

The file is from a game I play called OOTP. However, the game file this file is from has been completely deleted. Only this file exists, and the game is currently not open. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Re: Emptying Trash Issue

Postby James » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 10:27 pm

When Googling "the operation can't be completed because the item is in use", which according to Google Instant many people do, this is the second result, so many people are still viewing it without finding any definite answer.

For anyone else having this problem:

The terminal returned no application except finder, but that's the point. It turns that if there's no other application running, the file is in use by the finder. So, relaunch the finder: command, alt, escape.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 5:18 am

Hello EddiePaxil,
Welcome back.

In many cases, after rebooting the machine, the stuck file can be emptied (deleted).

If not, I sometimes try Cocktail to delete locked file.

Remember to read Apple Support - You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/536.26.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.2 Safari/536.26.17
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby EddiePaxil » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks for the attempt to help guys. However, my problems got a lot worse. After this happened (mind you I don't know if it's related) my processor started making a noise. (At which point I should've started backing up all my important files, but didn't) Then one day the computer wouldn't start up. I attempted to change the processor, but that didn't work. So without a computer and living off my iPhone for a little while. (That's why I didn't reply for a while.) I bit down and finally bought a new Mac. I am typing this post on my shiny new Mac Mini running OS X 10.3.8.

Now my problem is trying to get my old files off the other Mac's hard drive. Any one know what I can do?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_3) AppleWebKit/536.28.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.3 Safari/536.28.10
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Postby Antony » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 8:32 pm

Firstly congratulations on your new Mac.

Assuming you don't have entire disk encrypted, the easies way would be to take the HDD out, and put it into an external enclosure, and connect it to your new Mac. I take that the HDD is PATA (was called ATA or originally known as IDE) in G4 Sawtooth, which means an external enclosure for PATA/IDE HDD might be a bit challenge to find these days.

Speaking about backups, Apple's built-in Time Machine does a pretty good job. On top of that, I do a big backup (to DVDs) about once a year.

Well, Antony is poor, he can only afford backing up to DVD discs, not even DVD-DL discs, definitely not Blu-ray discs. As a matter of fact, Antony's cheap computers can't even read Blu-ray discs.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.17
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Anonymosity » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 12:21 am

When I see an error message similar to that (file is in use), I find that repairing permissions on the hard drive fixes it. After the repair is done, I can delete the file.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
Anonymosity
silver member
silver member

Return to Mac OS and Apple