Some good suggestions - thanks.
1. Internet search for [ picasa problems ]. There are mixed reports on Picasa 3 troubles.
1a. There is a possibility that the files have been corrupted.
2. Can you work successfully with a non-Picasa-ed jpg?
2a. Do you have available any files that that were manipulated with Picasa before version 3?
2b. Do you have available the original, pre-Picasa-enhanced, jpgs?
(When working with photos I like to keep the originals, hopefully with a Read-only setting, and copy them to a working folder for manipulations. The principle applies generally - keep Source files until one is absolutely certain that they are dispensable.)
3. Re: files not appearing - Can you view the files outside of Publisher, that is, right-clicking on a photo (in Explorer) and Open With some different program?
4. Is all your work done within one Windows logon? Any chance there is an accessing/permissions issue?
2. Nearly all are enhanced with Picasa. Will take a photo and try it without enhancement.
2a/2b. Not sure. Didn't keep originals unfortunately - take up so much extra HD space and only have an 80gig HD. May upgrade shortly and then I will start keeping them.
3. Files are available in all other programs I use. Will check further on that aspect.
4. No permission issues - only one logon used generally.
Will advise further when I try the above suggestions.
Further to the above :-
Tried a fresh picture with same result in Publisher. Refuses to find the file in "All picture formats" when doing the selection process. Have placed file on desktop and in a separate file in My Docs, still won't "see" it.
Tried inserting same piccy into a word document - no problems at all.
I might try completely uninstalling and reinstalling Publisher instead of the "repair" that I did. See what happens.
Further to above - uninstalled and reinstalled. No change, using a unaltered jpg file.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; OptusNetCable-02; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)