Where is my post, about Comodo Firewall?

Microsoft Windows operating system, and software for Windows platform, including QuickTime Player and iTunes for Windows. We also discuss topics about Microsoft Corp.

Where is my post, about Comodo Firewall?

Postby Fulvio » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:14 pm

I posted, yesterday, about serious problems encountered with Comodo Firewall. I listed the problems, and I wanted to caution anyone from using that software. I cannot find my post anywhere. If objectionable, I think that I should have gotten a personal message, at least. Of course, it may have been an additional parting trick from Comodo. :twisted:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20120312 Firefox/11.0 SeaMonkey/2.8
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Re: Where is my post, about Comodo Firewall?

Postby Antony » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 1:38 pm

Sorry that your post was lost. I have no idea what happened.
I did not delete any posts by you. Did you click "Save" instead of "Submit" when you finish the post?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.28
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Wed 11 Apr, 2012 5:58 pm

Did you click "Save" instead of "Submit" when you finish the post?

Assuming I did, where would the post be? I know about the User Control Panel, but I do not see anything pertinent to a Saved post. But, if the post is lost, that would be another "plus" for Comodo Firewall.
Today it is the first day, since Sunday that I have been able to use my computer!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20120312 Firefox/11.0 SeaMonkey/2.8
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby Antony » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 12:05 am

Never used that "Save" to be honest.

So what was the issue with Comodo Firewall? Isn't Comodo a certificate (SSL) company?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.28
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Amrad » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 5:33 am

Hello Fulvio,

Fulvio wrote:Assuming I did, where would the post be? I know about the User Control Panel, but I do not see anything pertinent to a Saved post.

If you did use 'Save' instead of 'Submit', your post will still be available. Assuming you posted it in 'Windows (and Microsoft talk)' go to that section of the forum (or to the section in in which you did compose your post) and click on 'New Topic'.

You should be presented with the usual composition window where, at the bottom, you should find four options, 'Load', 'Save', 'Preview' and 'Submit'. If you click on 'Load' , you will get a box above the composition window labelled, 'Load Draft'. There should be an entry with the title of your post, if there is, click on it and your post will be displayed in the composition window, if not, then you did not use 'Save' and probably closed the composition window without clicking on 'Submit', in which case your post is lost! You can then choose 'Save', 'Preview' or 'Submit' as required. I have used the 'Save' feature a few times and have found it quite useful!

Regards,

Dave.
Amrad
silver member
silver member

Postby Fulvio » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 12:54 pm

Since I can't find anything, and I have been posting for years, I have to chalk this to mysteries in life, or that Comodo had it against me.
I have been fine, since I was able to remove Comodo with Revo Uninstaller.
I will summarize the problems. As you may know Seamonkey is my default program. Comodo cut me off Seamonkey, immediately. Somehow, after a few hours of struggle, IE opened, and I was able to use the Internet.
Then I went to Google Chrome, and it told me that I was not connected to the Internet. And, thanks to Chrome, I was able to connect. Things were normal for the last hour, on Sunday. But, Comodo struck back with vengeance on Monday. It cut off the Internet, except for IE, and Avast, the AntiVirus, scanned at about 30% of its normal speed.
I must say that when I installed Comodo, it told me that I had the option of changing the DNS to a faster number of its own. I think that the problem was there, and, it surely, was not faster. In the meantime, Seamonkey was confined to the sandbox, i.e. unusable, because I could not make changes. I was sure that I had run into a virus!
I was able to go to the Comodo newsgroup, and found a lot of complaint about its behavior, and, especially, about the fact that it could not be removed. The newsgroup provided a couple of .zip files, which when unzipped would do the job, but, may be because I was rattled, or the files did not work, I could not do a thing.
By midafternoon Monday, I had Comodo Firewall doing an admirable job of preventing me from using the computer(I don't know, if it kept junk out). I could use IE, and Google Chrome could help me in restablish Internet connection. That's when I remember about the Revo Uninstaller, and in its Advanced mode it wiped out most of the Comodo files. A few file could be removed after rebooting. And, I still have a souvenir of the Comodo Geek Buddy, allegedly a helper in optimizing connections. Its files could not be touched.
I must say that Comodo, not only, downloaded, over 80 MB of its program, but, also, 120 more of the Internet Security, which I had not requested. And, even when I uninstalled it, the Firewall would not allow me to touch the Installer files. After I was able to remove Comodo, I found out that IE had been made default!
The nightmare was over late Monday, and, my hypertension had kicked up higher than I have had it with no medication. My experience may have been extreme, but, as far as I am concerned they are criminals!
Now, I am clicking SUBMIT.
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby Amrad » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 4:02 pm

Hello Fulvio,

You certainly have had some problems! Do I take it that you did not get a 'Draft' file of your missing post, if you followed my instructions?

Regards,

Dave.
Amrad
silver member
silver member

Postby Antony » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 4:08 pm

I take that Comodo you were referring to is this: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Did you uninstall it with the proper method? (E.g. using the installer programme to perform uninstall)

Have you tried with another Windows user account and see if browsers behave normal?
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 1:00 pm

I was using the free Comodo Firewall. As for uninstalling, I did not see anything which worked in the program itself. I spoke to a Tech person, and all I got out of him was to reinstall the program, which I did. I went to their newsgroup, and there were hundreds of complaints about its behavior, including several from users who bought it.
As for Windows User accounts, I have only my own, of which I am the administrator.
I was warning people of the possible drawback of using such program. But, it is gone, thanks to Revo Uninstaller.
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby Fulvio » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 1:46 pm

Hopefully, this is over. I had installed Comodo, because I thought that PC Tools Firewall was giving me problems, off and on. After removing All traces of both Comodo and PC Tools Firewalls, I install Ghostwall. Today, is the eighth straight day of no issues.
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Return to Windows (and Microsoft talk)