Wireless network with internal adapter. how to?

This section is for any issues on setting up or configuring networks at home and small business.

Wireless network with internal adapter. how to?

Postby jp.in.vt » Tue 06 Sep, 2005 11:14 pm

I have a 2004 Pentium 4 Sony VAIO with a LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter

I also have an old IBM 760XL laptop with windows98 and a 10Mbps LAN card.

Both computers work fine and hook to the internet via Verizon dsl ppoe

I just bought a D-link 802.11g wireless router (DI-524) to share the dsl connection between these two computers.

The plan is/was to keep the IBM wired to the dsl modem and router and use the wireless feature of the Sony. But I can't figure out how to make the adapter 'see' the D-link router. so how do I teach the wireless PCI Adapter?
When I got the IBM running with router I thought the Sony would automatically say "wireless network detected" but alas, such is not the case.

I know I'm pretty close to making this work but I need some expert help to get the last few details right.

thanks,

jp.in.vt
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
jp.in.vt

Re: Wireless network with internal adapter. how to?

Postby Antony » Wed 07 Sep, 2005 4:32 am

jp.in.vt wrote:The plan is/was to keep the IBM wired to the dsl modem and router and use the wireless feature of the Sony. But I can't figure out how to make the adapter 'see' the D-link router. so how do I teach the wireless PCI Adapter?
In short, you will need to enable your D-linik 802.11G wireless router. The wireless router must set up a Network.
Then, from your Sony VAIO, join the Network.

You will need to consult D-Link manual for detailed information.

Also, make sure the internal 802.11G is switched on.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412.5
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby jp.in.vt » Wed 07 Sep, 2005 11:01 am

I have been consulting the manual, that's how I am now stuck.
The VAIO has some kind of internal wireless NIC but I need to know how to make it behave like a D-link NIC
Is the router "hardware" that the computers are supposed to "find" and "install"?
jp.in.vt

Postby Antony » Wed 07 Sep, 2005 11:09 am

There are two possibilities I can think off.
1. your D-Link router might not create a network.
2. your internal 802.11g might not be on, or could not see the network created by the D-link router.

jp.in.vt wrote:Is the router "hardware" that the computers are supposed to "find" and "install"?
If the wireless router is active and has a network (visible), the computer should be able to "see" (find) it then "join" it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412.5
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Don_HH2K » Wed 07 Sep, 2005 3:33 pm

First of all, make sure that everything is properly working. By this, I mean for you to check that your router is properly plugged in (you might need a crossover cable on some routers if you are connecting directly to the modem). Check that your wireless card is on too: in XP, go to Start -> Run (or Windows key + R) and type in [tt]compmgmt.msc[/tt], then go to the Device Manager drop-down to the left and check to see if the VAIO's LAN is shown as working on the right (it will display an exclamation point or red X if something is wrong with it).

If all is well, then go to Control Panel -> Network Connections and double-click on the icon for your wireless adapter (it will probably be "Wireless Network Connection" or similar). If necessary, join the network that your D-Link router created. If you can't find a network, you may need to configure the router from the wired machine by using a static IP and crossover cable (I can post instructions on this if needed).
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1; Linux 2.4.22-10mdk; X11; i686; en_US, en)
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Postby jp.in.vt » Wed 07 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm

I followed the instructions on the D-Link cd. I started with my old IBM first since it's going to live next to the router. everything is on and powered up. The VAIO didn't find the network, so I disabled the wireless card and hooked the VAIO with a cat5 cable to the router and that does fine. so I disconnected the cat5 cable and I get on the internet with the IBM. The I enable the wireless card. the Red X goes away but the miniPCI adapter still can't find the network.

The CD suggested I make a network CD for all computers, so I did that.
but the VAIO still doesn't make see the network.

So I'd like to maybe try your suggestion to:
configure the router from the wired machine by using a static IP and crossover cable (I can post instructions on this if needed).
If I can get it to work with the static IP, can I change it to dynamic later?
thanks,
jp
jp.in.vt

Postby Don_HH2K » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 2:20 pm

jp.in.vt wrote:So I'd like to maybe try your suggestion to:
configure the router from the wired machine by using a static IP and crossover cable

Okay. Under certain circumstances, you will need to direct-connect with a static IP and a crossover cable (like with my old WaveLAN gateway), but since your hardware is newer, it may ship with a utility to configure the router as long as it is connected in some way. It may be web-based (accessible via your browser), or it may be an installable program. I would consult your manual on how to get into this setup program, and when you have, make sure that the wireless radio on the router is turned on and that you have properly configured a WEP or WPA key (support for these depends on your router).

If the manual specifies no way to do this, then you may need to directly connect and access it with downloadable AP manager software.

I would still like to believe, though, that D-Link would set up a wireless radio on their routers by default, and that your problem is on the VAIO and not the router.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1; Linux 2.4.22-10mdk; X11; i686; en_US, en)
Last edited by Don_HH2K on Thu 08 Sep, 2005 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Postby framed » Wed 21 Sep, 2005 9:56 am

hey, just wondered if this situation was ever resolved?
I have a Vaio laptop and am having the same problem with the wlan-nic not 'seeing' the wireless network.
I know the router works fine because there are 2 other laptops and a PC linked to it wirelessly.
The device shows up as working fine in Device Manager, and i've tried disabling/enabling it and still no luck.
Again, the Vaio works if it is wired into the router too.

Any help would be much appreciated

Mark
UserAgent: Opera/7.54 (Windows NT 5.1; U) [en]
framed

VAIO internal nic problem is still unresolved

Postby jp.in.vt » Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:16 am

For the short run I decided to buy a longer cat 5 cable for my IBM and keep both the IBM and the VAIO hard wired to the router. :roll:
ricockulous
but it works until I can acquire some more VAIO knowledge.
I bet there is a VAIO user group somewhere out there....
good luck and thanks,
jp
jp.in.vt

Postby framed » Thu 22 Sep, 2005 5:09 am

heh.
Bit stupid really isn't it. You go and spend all that money on one of the most expensive laptops money can buy, and then end up buying a bigass cable for it :/
Anyone have any ideas on what else it could be?

--Mark
UserAgent: Opera/7.54 (Windows NT 5.1; U) [en]
framed

Wireless connection problem

Postby ecinar » Tue 04 Oct, 2005 8:34 am

I have sony VAIO penthium 4 Notebook on my loptop as ı see from the device manager, there is LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter on it.

We have Asus wireless ADSL modem at home at the second floor,I connect to the internet from the first floor.Although it shows the signal stregth very good most of the time(some times excellent) , when I put the switch of the Adapter to ON position to connect to the internet it connects without any problem but, later during my connection to the internet, my laptop mouse arrow and the sound comes from speakers (for example as I play mp3 on media player) get stuck.It gives a sound like trrr!!

When I put the adapter of my laptop to OFF position and disconnect from the internet, there is no problem like this. I wrote on the command window "ping 192.XXX.XXX.XXX" and see there is no lost packets.Device manager shows this hardware works properly

Can anybody help me before I go crazy!? What can I do to solve this problem?
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; SaveWealth; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
ecinar

Return to Home and Business Networking