After reading through what seemed like hundreds of posts, with the majority saying "it worked", and a decent sized minority saying "it didn't work", I found a link to an all-around solution that helped. I apologize if this has already been posted previously, but I didn't see it on the final page, nor on the first 7 pages. Anyway, the following link gives step-by-step instructions on first trying MS's solution, and if that doesn't work, some next steps to get your CD/DVD drive working. For me, the final solution was running Devcon and finding out that it was a Sony XCP issue and running their utility.
Anyway, the link is:
http://barugon.wordpress.com/2008/08/01 ... g-code-39/
I hope this saves someone from reading through hundreds of posts.