Welcome to Netscape Communicator for Macintosh
These are the current release notes for Netscape Communicator for all Macintosh
platforms. You can access these release notes from the Help menu in Communicator.
Please ignore any release notes that might have been previously installed
on your system.
Netscape recommends that users of Communicator Standard and Professional
editions download Communicator
4.04. You can find out what version of Communicator you are running
by choosing About Communicator from the Help menu.
If you are using Netscape Communicator Professional Edition (which includes Netscape Calendar, IBM Host On-Demand, and AutoAdmin) please read the information contained in these notes. In addition, you can click here
to view the release notes specifically for Professional Edition.
These release notes include:
Unknown problems and bugs - please tell us about bugs you find.
Additional information is available:
Communicator 4.04 supports the optional Netscape FORTEZZA PKCS#11 module (available separately). This module supports the use of the FORTEZZA Crypto Card and FORTEZZA cryptographic algorithms (KEA and Skipjack) when using SSL and S/MIME. More information about Netscape FORTEZZA support is available
The Communicator 4.04 maintenance release also includes these new features:
Navigator and Composer
- Added support for PNG graphic format
- Java LDAP classes have been updated for LDAP version 3
- Users can now retrieve images from a JAR file
Messenger and Collabra (Mail and News)
- Added support for PNG graphic format
- Added compatibility with CYRUS IMAP server
General enhancements in the 4.04 release include:
- Fixed memory leaks when switching Communicator from the foreground to the background.
- Communicator is now compatible with AppleDouble attachments.
- Before you install Communicator, make sure that your hard disk names do not include the slash (/) character as part of the disk name. You won't be able to run Account Setup if any of your hard disk names include the slash (/) character.
- Java is not enabled for the Macintosh 68K platform.
- Webfonts are not available in Communicator for the Macintosh 68K platform.
- If you are using an applet that uses RMI callbacks, you must call netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalConnect") before the your first call into the RMI runtime.
- If virtual memory is turned on and you are using System 7.5.3, you may have difficulty changing the memory allocation setting. If this problem occurs, restart your machine.
- Transparency does not function correctly. If an image has a background chunk, it will be visible in transparent areas and the page background will not show through.
- Exported certificate names are appended with either letters or numbers. Checking for duplicate names is not done, so make sure you do not use the same name for more than one certificate.
- When uploading a file using ftp, Communicator only sends the data fork of the file. If you want to upload a Macintosh file that has a resource fork, convert the file to BinHex or MacBinary first.
- If you are using System 8.0, it is recommended that you turn on virtual memory before running Communicator.
- Folders aliases are not supported. You can drag a folder to an ftp directory window for upload but only aliases to files are resolved before they are uploaded.
- When dragging a folder to upload, the directory hierarchy of the folder is not maintained. All files contained in the dragged folder, even those in sub-folders, are uploaded to the directory you are logged into.
- If you receive an out of memory alert, quit Communicator and increase your memory partition. This may occur more often on a 68K platform.
- Dynamic fonts for Macintosh 68K platforms are not supported.
- If Communicator requests a removable media (such as a CD, a floppy disk, or a Zip or Jaz cartridge), click Cancel and Communicator will launch normally. To solve this problem, delete the Netscape Registry file from your Preferences folder.
- When you print a page containing dynamic fonts, they are rasterized at a resolution of 72 dpi, no matter what resolution the printer has. This causes the fonts to look jagged. To disable dynamic fonts, use the fonts property option.
- If you were using Netscape Navigator 3.0 and you normally launch Navigator by double-clicking a preference file in a folder other than System Folder:Netscape option-f, the profile name is not recognized. Create a new profile by starting the User Profile Manager. Move the contents of
the 3.0 preferences into the System Folder:Preferences:Netscape Users:"profilename" folder. To create a set of preferences outside the system folder, use the User Profile Manager to create a second profile, and choose its location on the last screen. Copy your old preferences to this new folder.
Messenger and Collabra
- Attaching an alias to a message does not work.
- When you create a new profile and choose IMAP protocol, you must restart before starting Messenger.
- If you make changes to the Advanced S/MIME Cipher Preferences in the Messenger tab of the Security Advisor dialog box, you must communicate these changes to people that you exchange encrypted mail with. To update their Certificate database information about you, send them a signed message. If you send only
encrypted messages, they will not be aware of your preference changes.
- When setting mail and news preferences for a new user profile, make sure
you set the mail server before the groups server.
- The file format for certificate import and export has changed between Communicator 4.03 and 4.04 due to the standardization of PKCS 12. Communicator 4.04 imports certificates exported with older versions of Communicator. However, older versions of Communicator will not be able to import files exported
with Communicator 4.04.
- When downloading a user certificate, you will be able to save the certificate for backup purposes. If the certificate chain does not yet exist on the user's machine, the certificate will be exported without the certificate chain. In this case, it is highly recommended that you save the certificate after retrieving the certificate chain by going into the Security Advisor, selecting Your Certificates and exporting the desired certificate.
- Disconnecting from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) before quitting Conference may cause problems.
- Using Chooser to mount a file server during a connection may cause problems.
- Modem to LAN connections might result in the modem side not receiving audio unless the LAN side also chooses a matching setting (for example, 28.8 for a 28.8 bps modem) in the Network Connection section of the Preferences dialog before connecting.
- Plug-ins from other companies installed in previous versions of Navigator are not automatically transferred to Communicator. Re-install these plug-ins.
- If you have manually removed a plug-in, the MIME type it was associated with in the application preferences is set incorrectly. You must re-edit the preferences setting if you manually re-install a plug-in.
- When following a link to a full-page instance of the LiveAudio plug-in and when Java is initialized, the status bar message of "Loading Java," does not appear. Also, when downloading a large audio file over a slow connection, no visual feedback is given through the progress bar.
- SmartUpdate does not work on Mac 68K platforms in this release.
- If a SmartUpdate download of an item occurs while the item to be updated is open or in use, restart your system for the update to take place.